A Dove called Werner

Ysarex

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My wife went out the back door and noticed we've acquired a boarder. I guess I don't get to use my ladder for awhile. Literally took the photo by cracking open the door 5 inches.

Joe

werner.jpg

Last edited:
Good on ya for letting it stay. I work with a lady that can't use her front door part of the year because a little swallow builds a nest in her wreath she hangs on the door.

Not a lot of people are aware that doves almost insist upon building their nest upon a _perfectly horizontally level surface_.It's true. Doves are extremely concerned with having a _very level_ nesting location. A few years ago in a house where we had build a pergola right outside one of the kitchen windows, a nesting pairn of doves built their nest around 18 inches from the window, so I got to observe some dove nesting and feeding behavior from very close distance.

When I lived in Queens, NYC, we had for three years running, pigeons building nests on the corner floor of our terrace on the 5th floor. The poop got pretty bad. We finally added a fishing line web around the whole terrace to keep them out. But it was interesting watching the little squabs grow up and fly away.

Nice pic! So long as it isn't a volley ball named Wilson you're OK!

We got 4 baby sparrows in a hanging flower basket on the front porch. Wife was worried about watering, I said go for it, they dont mind. They are about to fly now. She pulls it down from hanger and pours it in. Hangs it back up. No, didn't take any pics. Didn't want to scare them, besides, they were nestled in there pretty firm. We also had one in the garage on top of the garage door opener, but the parents couldn't manage our schedule, they never hatched. Some kind of finch I believe. They were coming and going for a spell but I think it got to cold a couple nights and they didn't make it.

Most reactions

Back