What's new

A Facebook Announcement: Constructive Critism Please

Farmclicker

TPF Noob!
Joined
Aug 6, 2012
Messages
82
Reaction score
15
Location
Maine
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Could people please evaluate this photo as we are announcing the birth of our fourth child and naturally want to make it special. In the past we have generally just gushed out the fact that we were having a baby, but this time have been more reserved. Maybe this is lame conceptually, but I am wondering if it gets the point across. Our main goal...our main concern is that people "get it" quickly...that is we do not want them to ponder the meaning of the photo like some people who do cutesy things with shirts and whatnot and wonder why the upcoming grandparents do not get the meaning of it. In short, we want people to look at the photo and say; "OMG...they are having a new baby!"

Does this photo do that well enough?


Our Family by tsj5874, on Flickr
 
I LOVE the idea! Very creative and even if you hadn't told you were pregnant, it would have still made sense to me. Great idea!!
 
I think instead of placing them on a flat bench, you could have placed them on a step down way at different heights as if they were on the heels of you people.... as of now things look too much organized to create a strong feeling of progression of time :D
 
Level the table.
I think it's awesome!
 
Frequency's idea is pretty cool but I like your image. Creative announcements are fun.
 
Just a reminder, your posting an image thats meant to having meaning, onto a forum dedicated to seeing meaning where others may not. I could bet 90% of the forums would understand the image, but thats what we do on a daily basis, see things.

Still, I think its a good idea, that your average person would get the jist of after a minute. Maybe just make the text a bit more appealing (message me if you want some help), it really doesn't match the rustic qualities of the image.
 
The pumpkins are so bright, they draw my eye.
Why not put the shoes more prominently - and larger - and move the pumpkins to a less prominent position?
 
What Lew said, and it would be nice to be able to ditch the captions.

I think if you placed the shoes for the people currently out-of-womb on the table, and the placed the shoes for the in-womb family member on a separate platform, slightly higher, and out front, it might clarify the idea of "a new addition" enough to let you dump the text. The title or caption the photo "Coming in May 2013" or similar to get the date worked in there, without trampling all over the image itself.
 
Guys and Gals...please forgive me. I read your responses to this the other day, and it being chaotic around here...autumn on a farm is crazy when you got things to do before snow starts flying...that I did not get back to you saying at least thank you for taking the time to respond. I truly try to be appreciative for your objective and professional opinion.

I am truly sorry for my delay...

And thank you for your replies, and as always they have merit. The one thing I love about this forum is that people realize the purpose of a photograph and evaluate it for its impact, as well as for its endearing qualities. I did end up sending it out via facebook without editing further when some said they truly liked it, BUT I agree, my captions were rather boring considering the rustic tone of the photo. And while I went with the captions; I agree Amolitor, perhaps if arranged better I could have dispelled with the captions altogether. I did have one person who still could not get the meaning even with the captions, but hey the world is filled with friends and family who are not always the whitest sheep in the flock...if you know what I mean?

As for the photo itself...my oh my are you going to flog me for this as I broke the cardinal rule of photography...take your time. This photo was incredibly rushed. As I said it is especially busy right now on this farm...and I plugged this photo in to a spare 15 minutes I had. I know...no photo with this statement should be rushed. And when I say rushed, I mean that 15 minutes included loading up all the supplies onto my tractor, driving the half mile there, then taking the photo, then returning again. Yep it was rushed!

Thanks again for taking the time to respond to my photo.
 
I think it's completely fine the way it is if that's the way you like it. I personally would like to see it cropped tighter, just a bit, to see the shoes a bit more...or desaturate the pumpkins a hair or something...and do something better with the text but this is an announcement...which will be seen by family and friends...so in light of that, I think it's ok. I'd still fix the text. It's hard to read with the busy/bright background :)

oh and by the way, congratulations :D
 
Cute idea..... maybe much smaller baby shoes though to really bring home the point.


Ohhhh, just had a brain attack along the lines of Frequency's idea, cascading sizes of pumpkins with the birth years written on them???
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom