sm4him

In memoriam
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
sm4him.500px.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Last Friday morning, before all the wedding festivities began, I got a chance to sit out in the yard and get a few more hummer shots. I was really pleased with them; I knew as I took them they'd be some of my best hummer shots so far, but then with my niece's wedding and related stuff all weekend, I couldn't get them processed! THEN I saw Kris' hummingbird thread, and was reminded that he is just in a class all by himself!!

It seems to have been fortunate that I got some time that morning to take photos, because this past Monday morning, the temperature took a nose dive into the upper 40s (hey, that's pretty cold for us southerners, in SEPTEMBER!) and my resident hummers seem to have taken flight for warmer climes. Makes me wish *I* could take flight for a warmer clime for the winter!! I'm hoping to maybe get a few passersby as others migrate through, but mostly I'm just sad that my hummers are gone, reminding me that fall, and then winter, are upon us.

At least I have pictures to remember my sweet hummers--maybe that will help me survive until Spring!

1. At the feeder
Hummer by sm4him, on Flickr

2. Hover
Hummer 2 by sm4him, on Flickr

3. Strutting His Stuff
Preparing for Takeoff 2 by sm4him, on Flickr

4. Balancing Act
A Delicate Balance 2 by sm4him, on Flickr

5. Wing Spread
Hummer Wing Spread by sm4him, on Flickr

6. Hummer Battle: I was a little surprised to actually get a shot with both of them in the frame!
Incredible how fast these little guys are! I was shooting at 1/1000 here and the wings are nothing but a blur.
Hummer Battle by sm4him, on Flickr

You know the drill--C&C, general comments and witty banter are all welcome here!

Nice shots, The last one is pretty cool..

These are great, Sharon. Particularly the 3rd. I've shot them at 1/2000th and still got blurry wings.

Absolutely stunning, gorgeous pictures Sharon. I *love* that first one especially!

Looks great.

Thanks, all! I really appreciate the comments!

These are great, Sharon. Particularly the 3rd. I've shot them at 1/2000th and still got blurry wings.

Yeah, those wings just move SO fast, it's amazing! I did shoot some at 1/2000, I think, but not sure if any of those got processed. It's that constant battle between fast shutter speed and keeping the ISO reasonable, you know?

Absolutely stunning, gorgeous pictures Sharon. I *love* that first one especially!
Thank you! The first is one of my favorites as well. Normally, I try not to show feeders and other manmade objects, but sometimes you can't avoid it, and somehow, with the hummers, I almost don't even mind. I shot some at a friend's house in Nashville recently, and I was going through them with her, I was mentally either picking the ones without the feeder or "cropping" the feeder out in my head, but the ones she wanted were the ones WITH the feeder, and I realized that in that case, the context of being at HER feeders is what made the pictures special to her.

Sharon,

Did you get a chance to see these? Long Time No See - Here are some Hummers | Photography Forum

Matthew is another guy that makes me sick :) In a good way.

Aaaaaannnnnddddd.............I quit.

I'm done. Anyone wanna buy some camera gear? :D

Kris and Matthew--and that Danny guy from New Zealand too, though he's not been around lately--they are just crazy good. It doesn't make me sick, it makes me HIGHLY jealous. LOL. And slightly depressed.

But see, here's the thing: They cheat. They HAVE to be cheating somehow. I don't know HOW they do it, but that's GOT to be the reason they get these absurdly awesome shots that blow the rest of OUR stuff out of the water. I mean, it can't just be that they are THAT much better than me, can it??? :D

Those are nice shots Sharon. I like the challenge of trying to get shots of hummingbirds and have spent the last 3 months working at it from the confines of my patio while recovering from serious neck surgery. I'm better than when I started and realize I still have a ways to go but the journey is a heck of a lot of fun! Who knows, maybe some of the hummers passing through here could have been up there earlier! All I know is we all will have something to look forward to next spring and summer when our friends come back for a visit; my feeders will be waiting for them.

Aaaaaannnnnddddd.............I quit.

I'm done. Anyone wanna buy some camera gear? :D

That's not how it works.

That's not how any of this works.

You're just supposed to keep on practicing. :star:

But see, here's the thing: They cheat. They HAVE to be cheating somehow. I don't know HOW they do it, but that's GOT to be the reason they get these absurdly awesome shots that blow the rest of OUR stuff out of the water. I mean, it can't just be that they are THAT much better than me, can it??? :D
Maybe they've figured out how to make a pet out of the hummers! :345:
You're jealous of them, and me of you.. if only my pics were half as good as you :blueface:
These are some real awesome shots,and the last one is just incredible. I'd have nominated it if it wasn't already nominated. :)

LOL, I never cheat :) I think you did great Sharon. These little buggers are tough. Although the only time I photograph them is out in the wild. Maybe next year I will get a feeder...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back