A Father's Safety - Strange Place

jcdeboever

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was asked to do a photo shoot at a non-profit, cancer research themed, fashion show. I insisted on not being paid, as I am not a professional and would like to gain the experience at event shooting. My argument, I wanted to learn from the experience of capturing images in uncontrolled light. They insisted on paying me a nominal fee to do the event based on past work at a couple other events, for people that were associated to the event. I declined to do it for pay because I wanted the experience. I also explained that I didn't want to take professional work away from local artist for my benefit. They said I would be the only photog there, agreed not to pay me, and I was golden.

I got there and there were three other photogs there. Man, they were so rude to me. One guy gave me some attitude but I gave him a look and he crapped his pants, hint... never walk up to a guy who will beat you bad if you threaten him... you never know who you are messing with. I didn't sign up for that. I never would have done that show if I would have known other photogs were there. I shot 64 digital images and 12 film. That has to be the most I ever shot in a day. Holy crap, I couldn't believe I shot that many frames.

Anyway, here is my favorite. This is digital, XP2, 35mm 1.4, Acros simulation, almost sooc, had to crop. My good bud was in the pic, the dude with the gold chain.

A Father's Safety.jpg

Last edited:
Sadly no good deed goes unpunished, nice shot my friend... @jcdeboever !

@jcdeboever I know it isn't much consolation for now but one day the score will be tallyed and I have every reason to believe you will be well into the positive side of the ledger. Great capture of an emotional moment in time.

@jcdeboever I know it isn't much consolation for now but one day the score will be tallyed and I have every reason to believe you will be well into the positive side of the ledger. Great capture of an emotional moment in time.
Thanks y'all. I don't get people anymore. Many people act entitled or something. Like it is perfectly fine to be rude to someone, like it's normal. It wasn't like we were shooting a Ralph Lauren show. Lol

76 is the most you have shot in one day? I have had to delete photos from my card to make room while on a 4 hr kayak trip lol. Nice pic, JC.

76 is the most you have shot in one day? I have had to delete photos from my card to make room while on a 4 hr kayak trip lol. Nice pic, JC.
When I first started, I fired them off. It's been a whie. Now if I were to go bird shooting, I'd probably fill them up.

@jcdeboever question? Since you mostly shoot SOOC JPEG, can we assume this event was the same? What do you use to cull large numbers of images?​

@jcdeboever question? Since you mostly shoot SOOC JPEG, can we assume this event was the same? What do you use to cull large numbers of images?​
I shoot raw and convert the image in camera. Minor adjustments made in post. I like doing it this way because I can change simulation, or bump shadows, highlights, etc in the camera. I don't do it a lot but I like having the option. I shoot raw + jpeg when I feel the need to chimp on the focus. Not very often. I then open the card on the desktop using a file manager, extra large icon view, drop the selected JPEG images in a folder. Then I format the card when I put back in camera. Not sure what you mean on the second question but I'd say I make the determination of a keeper in camera, convert to jpeg, move both the raw and jpeg to the PC on important stuff. Most of the time I just move the converted JPEG. I tag images in the PC so I can find them quick.

Last edited:
What do you use to cull large numbers of images?
Let me take a guess - JC has been shooting film and that seems to lead to thinking before shooting.

What a beautiful moment in this photo you made/took JC, really do like it in mono so well done.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back