What's new

A few by the train tracks

fjrabon

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Joined
Nov 3, 2011
Messages
3,644
Reaction score
757
Location
Atlanta, GA, USA
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
1: $northside 1 (1).webp
2: $northside 2 (1).webp
3: $northside 3.webp
 
The 1st and 3rd are good. I don't know what the subject of the 2nd on is.
 
#1 Whoa! Great snag there!
#2 I'm still working on it.
#3 I'm feeling that one!

Please enlighten me on #2, svp.
 
#2 I was trying to contrast the small flowers in the window with the expanse of the train tracks. Also I liked the 4 blocks of color (khaki building, green grass, blue sky and grey/black tracks in the roughly geometric alignment they were in. Finally I wanted to convey how weird it is to live within 10 feet of tracks.

I don't know how well I accomplished any of that, hence the c+c.
 
I really like the effigy on the dumpster in the first. However, everything to the right of the dumpster doesn't add anything and actually distracts. Whatever that is on the ground in front works, so I would have made this a vertical. You could crop it that way, but I think having the rest of the dumpster lid would have been good.

Good idea on the second, but way too much on the right side other than the tracks. Maybe from a higher vantage point with a longer lens?

Third is well done re composition and BW conversion, but basically just a shot of someone's art work.
 
#2 I was trying to contrast the small flowers in the window with the expanse of the train tracks. Also I liked the 4 blocks of color (khaki building, green grass, blue sky and grey/black tracks in the roughly geometric alignment they were in. Finally I wanted to convey how weird it is to live within 10 feet of tracks.

I don't know how well I accomplished any of that, hence the c+c.

O.K., yea, I got all the blocks of color, and how they all fit together, and your explaination helps me a lot. Now perhaps your idea of showing a house close to the tracks can be improved somewhat by showing the flower in the window much more prominently. Make it the main subject, with train cars in the background. Too bad there isn't a cat dish on the porch, you could catch the cat juxtaposed with a rail car, but that's just the way my mind works.
 
#2 I was trying to contrast the small flowers in the window with the expanse of the train tracks. Also I liked the 4 blocks of color (khaki building, green grass, blue sky and grey/black tracks in the roughly geometric alignment they were in. Finally I wanted to convey how weird it is to live within 10 feet of tracks.

I don't know how well I accomplished any of that, hence the c+c.

O.K., yea, I got all the blocks of color, and how they all fit together, and your explaination helps me a lot. Now perhaps your idea of showing a house close to the tracks can be improved somewhat by showing the flower in the window much more prominently. Make it the main subject, with train cars in the background. Too bad there isn't a cat dish on the porch, you could catch the cat juxtaposed with a rail car, but that's just the way my mind works.


yeah, I think I could have pulled it off if I had a telephoto with me, but to get any closer with the 35mm I had with me at the time, the angle would have been too severe. Might try to go back again tomorrow.
 
okay, so I'm going to hit the location in 2 again, question becomes what time? The time when this was shot was in some ways nice because the shadow line perfectly divided the building from the grass, and the building, and the light is sufficiently warm. However, I was thinking it might be a nice effect to get 30 minutes earlier, so that you get some of the grass in light for some nice highlight effects.

The other plan is to take a telephoto, so I can get closer in on the flowers, while maintaining the straight forward angle of the shot.

Also, will probably go for a more stopped down aperture (maybe f/16 or f/11), and just have everything in focus. I tried to go for shallower DOF here so that the flowers would be more clearly suggested as the subject, but I don't think it enhanced that idea, and just made things looks sort of blurred and confusing. Though Ill probably try both stopped down and opened up.

Also considering bringing a 'model' to see how having a person in the frame adds or detracts.

Any other thoughts?
 
Also considering bringing a 'model' to see how having a person in the frame adds or detracts.

IMO, it should be the person who actually lives there.
 
To me, the building to the left frames the right part of the picture. The train track leading lines leads my eyes to the back of the picture which is slightly out of focus and my eyes stop there. That's why I'm lost on what the subject is.

Use the framing or the leading lines to draw the eye to an interesting subject and then I think you'll have a more interesting picture.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom