A few from the fair.

benlonghair

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey everybody. The local agricultural fair was this past weekend. I took some shots. I would like critique if you've got a few minutes. Anyhow, here we go.

1. Probably my favorite. They have a contest where kids show their sheep while wearing clothing made from the wool from that sheep.

little bo peepDSC_0055

2. Hunt seat competition. I love girls in riding cloths. ;)

chestnut jumpingDSC_0092

3. This shot is sort of a dilemma for me. I like the shot a lot, but it's a fairly young woman whose butt I'm photographing. I don't think it's much of an issue, it was in public and her butt isn't the point of the photo.

fair ribbonsDSC_0077

Her butt isn't the point of the photo? Well it is the subject of the photo. Love #1 and #2.

Good shots all - There's nothing to worry about with #3 - the viewer has no idea of the age or identity of the subject, and I agree with you about the subject/point.

:thumbup:

I like #1, the colors/exposure are excellent imo.

#3 on the other hand ... eh, I know you don't mean it to be the subject, but when I first looked I was like WHOA! WHAT? WHY?!? lol.

What butt??? lol kidding. I like 1 and 2. I used to ride english. Loved it, and LOVED the outfit. :)

The faked bokeh doesn't distract from it too much? Almost all that blur behind her is fake.

#3 on the other hand ... eh, I know you don't mean it to be the subject, but when I first looked I was like WHOA! WHAT? WHY?!? lol.

Because I loved the ribbons hanging out her back pocket. Maybe not in the best taste, but I liked the shot.

The faked bokeh doesn't distract from it too much? Almost all that blur behind her is fake.

You know, I was looking at that shot around her head b/c of the sharp cutoff off from the subject to bokeh. I'd say maybe lessen it a bit to make it more realistic around her head. It does seem very sharp.

You know, I was looking at that shot around her head b/c of the sharp cutoff off from the subject to bokeh. I'd say maybe lessen it a bit to make it more realistic around her head. It does seem very sharp.

I softened it up around the sheep and her hands, but left the bonnet alone. I can soften that up a little, i suppose. I still have to work on the hard line between the blur and sharpness just above her knees.

ha ha I've always loved paints. They're so pretty. And buckskins! Oh the beauty! My show horse was a chestnut with a flaxen mane and tail. He is very handsome.

Here's a pic from the last time I showed. Several years ago. It was fun.

Will you people quit horsing around and taking photos of butts with the lame excuse it was to photograph the ribbons...for crying out loud...and why are these photos so magnificent??? Oh yeah! 'Cuz I didn't take them...good job...like your eye...the sight is strong in this photojedi...

When I first opened this thread, and started scrolling down, only the top half of the picture was visible, and I honestly thought it was a porcelain doll. Even after I had the whole picture the only thing that convinced me it wasn't a doll was that her feet were obviously moving when the shot was taken. I think the faked selective focus is partly what misled me, because for the background to be that out of focus I must have assumed the subject was a miniature of some sort. So in a way, it's not necessarily "distracting," but I do think it takes away from the honesty of the shot a bit.

So in a way, it's not necessarily "distracting," but I do think it takes away from the honesty of the shot a bit.

I had a choice, either the background was too busy or faking it. I could have made it work with a longer fast lens, but I don't have that, so I have to fake it. I don't mind faking things that, if I had the tools, I could do for real.

I love #1, good job on the blurring, gives it a 3d feel.

Most reactions

Back