A few more from this weekends zoo walk

robbins.photo

Yup, It's The Zoo Guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Just a few more from this weekends zoo walk. Took a stroll through the aquarium, it's a pretty challenging lighting environment but managed to get a couple I rather liked:

20140308_876 by robbins.photo, on Flickr

20140308_965 by robbins.photo, on Flickr

It got warm enough that they let both the cheetahs and the gorillas out, which was great:

20140309_ 785 by robbins.photo, on Flickr

20140309_ 1080 by robbins.photo, on Flickr

And I went through the Lied Jungle and got a halfway decent shot of one of those really annoying, fast moving camera cheaters:

20140309_ 534 by robbins.photo, on Flickr

So all in all had a great time this weekend. As usual C&C is always welcome. :)

What a cool shot of the penguin swimming! I wish he was focused better. I also love the fish, what great colors!

compared to my aquarium photos.....HOW is all i ask. HOW

What a cool shot of the penguin swimming! I wish he was focused better. I also love the fish, what great colors!

Yup.. me too. I caught him just as he dove in but as a result the focus point was somewhere in the middle off the body rather than the head, and with the extremely narrow DOF plus the less than ideal shutter speed for a shot like this (1/320) the head is a bit soft. I'm going to do some more post processing on this one and see if I can't improve on that one a bit. All in all though I like the shot.

compared to my aquarium photos.....HOW is all i ask. HOW

The lens makes a big difference on these, they were shot with an 85 mm F/1.8 so even thought he lighting conditions are pretty bad you still have enough light coming into the lens to work with, and you can keep your shutter speed high enough that your pictures still come out reasonably sharp.

Love the gorilla shot, if spring ever gets up here I'll head back to the local zoo. Right now it's snowing again :(

how's that bridge camera working out for you?

i still love it. 95 percent of the time it is the other 5 percent....
Actually thinking about buying another bridge now.

Just out of curiousity is it the size/weight factor that draws you to the bridge camera? Ease of use?
Part of it. i carry one small bag, it carries the camera, batteries, lens cleaner, extra card. All i need in a small bag. Also 42 x zoom. About any situation i encounter, it will take a photo of. Take out and start up time is about four seconds. while i could be playing around with the dslr and lenses i already took the shot with the bridge. so i get far less missed shots. And for instance, like walking around boston a couple weeks ago, it makes a great walk around camera. i can leave it dangling from my neck and the weight really doesn't effect me. which means on the sleep (goes to sleep if you leave it) i can take a shot in a couple second since i already have it out and hanging off my neck. i don't miss shots. It is also more comfortable (smaller) carrying in restaurants, public places. Im not carrying this big bag i have to keep track of. if you are having other stuff you are keeping track of too, shopping bags, kids, whatever else, less you carry and have to keep track of the better off you are. image quality, in most cases i will fail from missing a shot playing with a dslr more than missing a shot from poor image quality on the bridge. In decent light it takes comparable images to entry level dslrs. I honestly think the bridge is a over all better tool, more efficient and it does what it does very well, surpassing a dslr on most fronts in a smaller package. im also partial to the bridge cameras, keep in mind, im used to shooting with them. so i have a higher level of familiarity with them. i know my way around the bridge i have way better than the 7100. im also more inclined to grab the bridge camera walking out the door. There is no "setup" with lenses on the bridge.

edit: Not to mention the articulating screen. Though many dslrs have them. Bridge has a articulating screen. i love articulating screens it keeps me from having to stand on my head or lay on the ground when doing a low shot to look through the viewfinder.

Last edited:
Love the gorilla shot, if spring ever gets up here I'll head back to the local zoo. Right now it's snowing again :(

Big fan of the gorilla's myself, I can spend half the day sometimes just wandering around taking pictures of them. Weather has been so bad here that they haven't been out in months, so I was just overjoyed to get a few shots of them before I had to head out. Really looking forward to spring.. lol

i still love it. 95 percent of the time it is the other 5 percent....
Actually thinking about buying another bridge now.

Just out of curiousity is it the size/weight factor that draws you to the bridge camera? Ease of use?
Part of it. i carry one small bag, it carries the camera, batteries, lens cleaner, extra card. All i need in a small bag. Also 42 x zoom. About any situation i encounter, it will take a photo of. Take out and start up time is about four seconds. while i could be playing around with the dslr and lenses i already took the shot with the bridge. so i get far less missed shots. And for instance, like walking around boston a couple weeks ago, it makes a great walk around camera. i can leave it dangling from my neck and the weight really doesn't effect me. which means on the sleep (goes to sleep if you leave it) i can take a shot in a couple second since i already have it out and hanging off my neck. i don't miss shots. It is also more comfortable (smaller) carrying in restaurants, public places. Im not carrying this big bag i have to keep track of. if you are having other stuff you are keeping track of too, shopping bags, kids, whatever else, less you carry and have to keep track of the better off you are. image quality, in most cases i will fail from missing a shot playing with a dslr more than missing a shot from poor image quality on the bridge. In decent light it takes comparable images to entry level dslrs. I honestly think the bridge is a over all better tool, more efficient and it does what it does very well, surpassing a dslr on most fronts in a smaller package. im also partial to the bridge cameras, keep in mind, im used to shooting with them. so i have a higher level of familiarity with them. i know my way around the bridge i have way better than the 7100. im also more inclined to grab the bridge camera walking out the door. There is no "setup" with lenses on the bridge.

edit: Not to mention the articulating screen. Though many dslrs have them. Bridge has a articulating screen. i love articulating screens it keeps me from having to stand on my head or lay on the ground when doing a low shot to look through the viewfinder.

I hear you. I did enjoy both the SX50 and the FZ-200 I had for a while, but ended up selling both off, they just weren't really getting used after I went to the DSLR.

Great shots. Shooting aquarium pictures is hard!

I hear you. I did enjoy both the SX50 and the FZ-200 I had for a while, but ended up selling both off, they just weren't really getting used after I went to the DSLR.
i had the dslr out yesterday. but i was staying local, new pretty much what i was shooting ahead of time so new what lens to affix.. went with the better image quality, the dslr.
I actually think im going to end up with four cameras (other than the cellphone). Another bridge for walk around general purpose, and because my wife wants to start taking my bridge. The dslr for less portable needed more serious stuff where image quality is more crucial but not portability or speed. And a total beater camera i can take in the pool with the kids or the lake and submerge it and leave it on the dash of the car and let it slide around. Different purpose, different tool. Short of submerging however, i have found the bridge cameras to be the best and most versatile all around tool, least for me. Considering the range they can shoot and the size and weight i really just find them extremely efficient. A mirrorless may fit in one of these instead. up for debate. i noticed Nikon had out a new waterproof mirrorless. something to consider. im not sure if i want to get into the headache of more lenses though beyond the current dslr.

Last edited:
Penguin looks to me like the focus is adequate, but the aquarium glass is causing that Canon-look effect. lol.

The fish is neat-looking. The shot of your brother in law looks good too.

i had the dslr out yesterday. but i was staying local, new pretty much what i was shooting ahead of time so new what lens to affix.. went with the better image quality, the dslr.
I actually think im going to end up with four cameras (other than the cellphone). Another bridge for walk around general purpose, and because my wife wants to start taking my bridge. The dslr for less portable needed more serious stuff where image quality is more crucial but not portability or speed. And a total beater camera i can take in the pool with the kids or the lake and submerge it and leave it on the dash of the car and let it slide around. Different purpose, different tool. Short of submerging however, i have found the bridge cameras to be the best and most versatile all around tool, least for me. A mirrorless may fit in one of these instead. i noticed Nikon had out a new waterproof mirrorless. something to consider. im not sure if i want to get into the headache of more lenses though beyond the current dslr.

Might want to give the FZ-200 a gander, I really liked mine. The 600 mm constant F/2.8 was nice, and it really did take some decent pictures overall.

Most reactions

Back