A few of my better photos - need your help!

EstorilM

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I work at Circuit City and RANDOMLY found a sheet of paper that the Nikon rep had left in our office (that would have been thrown away had I not seen it) mentioning a contest for Circuit City associates where they can enter their pictures to win some (not so impressive) prizes. It's not a big deal but I'd like to see if I could win. My main concern is that there are only 5 catagories and they are rather random. Landscape, Travel, Family, Nature, and Artist/Creative. There are no descriptions of the catagories at all and I'm worried they will simply DQ a large portion of the submissions for not qualifying to fit into the catagory.

This is the picture that I'd like to use for Nature:
36796AST05-403673.jpg

This is the one I was thinking about using for Landscape:
36796DSC02618.jpg

AND I only have one more option (max 3 pictures in 3 different catagories allowed.)

These are some pictures that I REALLY like but I had no idea what catagory they could go in, the horses might count as "travel" which the judges might like for its creative interpretation or simply dismiss because of its off-topic content.
36796AST05-403734.jpg

36796AST05-403748.jpg

It's possible that I could enter one of the last 2 in the "artist/creative" section because of the use of slower shutter speeds but I have no idea how that title is to be interpreted.

Check out some of my recent shots here and let me know if there are more appropriate/better shots for the catagories. I'm kinda at a loss here.

All shots are with a D70s w/ Nikkor 80-200 2.8 ED except for the sunset pic which was with my old Sony Cybershot F-505V. Overall comments and tips would be greatly appreciated (only used an SLR like 4 times in my life so I'm still learning - I work part time for an equestrian photography company that provides me with equipment.. the D70s was a loaner while their D2h was in for that recall fix.)

EstorilM said:
It's possible that I could enter one of the last 2 in the "artist/creative" section because of the use of slower shutter speeds but I have no idea how that title is to be interpreted.
I would suggest doing that. :thumbup:

First two fit their categories perfectly.

As for Travel I'm 99% sure they want vacation style photos. In contests I've been in or viewed, when you 'creatively' interpret the category the shot does miserable.

For creative/artist you can pretty much enter anything you want. Save maybe ones that would fit into one of the other categories, but even then they'd probably accept them.

Nice photos. They definitely fit their categories. I think the horizon in the second one is slightly tilted, could just be me.

Good luck in the competition.

Sand_On_The_Breeze said:
Nice photos. They definitely fit their categories. I think the horizon in the second one is slightly tilted, could just be me.

Good luck in the competition.

Yeah the shoreline is actually closer on the right side of the image and gives you kinda an illusion - the wind also created a line of ripples that aren't horizontal either. (the light area.)

Hmm, still not sure what to do with the horse pictures. :(

I know how rare it is to get a good spiderweb photo, this one is on the money....Good Luck!

I have a quic question, how did you insert the copyright on the photos?

Bettybooty said:
I have a quic question, how did you insert the copyright on the photos?

Sorry about the dead links, fixed 'em!

For the copyright in my pics I simply recorded an action in photoshop and saved it, now whenever I want to process a photo to publish it I just "play" the action and it adds an inner border, increases canvas size, gives that a border, and adds a type layer (I think I changed the opacity on it so its kinda translucent.)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back