A few overcast last afternoon visitors

Don Kondra

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
donkondra.weebly.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
A not quite steady stream of half a dozen species with bursts (no pun intended :winky: ) of intense activity over an hour !

Loads of fun !

And THE best therapy for whatever is ailing you. Nothing else exists while your eye is glued to the viewfinder !

Life's challenges are gone....

I'm on a gimbal, I set up a dead tree for the birds to perch on before they come into the nectar, seed and suet feeders outside my south facing picture window (pun intended :icon_biggrin: )

If I happen to be in the house and notice some activity I'm ready to drop whatever I was doing and shoot, he, he....

On days like these I like to challenge myself to a ISO of 1/1000, aperture mode wide open , center meter/focus with the 200-500mm.

Mostly I'm looking for a "good" static pose. Wait for it, wait, Go.... Rip off a short burst and save the best for the initial cut.

I love the frame rate (edited) of the D500 but try to keep my bursts under four or five. BTW > I find the free version of FastStone Image Viewer the quickest program to cull a batch of images.

In an hour I shot 136 frames, about half of which were somewhat acceptable. Of those choosing between almost identical poses and eliminating simple side shots I kept/processed a dozen.

This is my best of the hour.

Female Baltimore Oriole.

Six 17 Aug 2021.jpg

A chickadee, eeeee....

Three 17 Aug 2021.jpg

Male Goldfinch...

Two 17 Aug 2021.jpg

Female Downy Woodpecker...

Five 17 Aug 2021.jpg

Female Baltimore Oriole...

One 17 Aug 2021.jpg

Cheers, eh ?

Last edited:
I love the shutter speed of the D500…

Your D500 has the same shutter speed than any other camera. You
surely meant frame rate that is indeed somewhat higher than many.

That is a good set you got there :encouragement: … but I think that all renditions
could be revisited.

Last edited:
Very good set.....
Thank you...
Your D500 has the same shutter speed than any other camera. You
surely meant frame rate that is indeed somewhat higher than many.
Good catch, edited. Thank you !

That is a good set you got there :encouragement: … but I think the all renditions
could be revisited.

Quick and dirty edits. I usually spend more time processing images under better lighting conditions :)

Cheers, Don

I like this set. And the dead tree is a great idea.

Are you shooting through that south facing window?

A very nice set! A dead tree, that's a great idea! Watching birds is a favorite pasttime.
Thank you !
I like this set. And the dead tree is a great idea.

Are you shooting through that south facing window?
Thank you. Yes, shooting through the window..

Cheers, Don

Some very nice birdies. A touch of NR would help but you probably chose not to bother with it, I presume. Nice set. :icon_thumbsup:

Pretty decent set. A wee bit tight in the frame for me but came out well considering you are shooting through glass.

I had a look at one with a little touch of 'dehaze' and it looked very good (didn't post as I respect your 'Not OK to Edit).

Yeah, nice variety of birdies.

Most reactions

Back