A few pics for C&C from a newbie

jamewatta

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well, I finally decided to post a few of my photos for C&C.
The first two pics I messed around in gimp with the curves, but that's all. I'm trying to learn about pp. The last two pics are straight out of the camera except for resizing.
So tell me what you think, please?

IMG_7047a by jamewatta, on Flickr

IMG_7135a by jamewatta, on Flickr

IMG_7417a by jamewatta, on Flickr

IMG_7505a by jamewatta, on Flickr

C&C per req:

1. This one has potential, but I don't think your post-processing has helped it. It appears rather muddy and lacking in contrast. I would suggest increasing the brightness and contrast slightly. Consider your backgrounds; it's a nice portrait of the horse, but the business of the background, with all the barn timbers, lines and angles make for a distracting image.

2. Seems nice and sharp, and for an onboard flash, the lighting isn't bad. Notice the way the catchlights are in the dead-centre of the eye? This is the result of a pop-up flash or one too close to the lens axis; It's not a huge issue, but it does give a slightly unnatural look. As for composition, try and avoid centering your subjects and consider a vertical (portrait) orientation for images like this.

3. Very nice; good, diffuse background, and nicely lit. Some will say it's a little flat (lacking contrast/shadow), but the glow on her hair works very well. Comments as per #3 regarding composition.

4. A good start by getting low, but there's a very distracting background and portraits of animals like people are generally stronger when the subject is looking toward the camera. Don't forget to level your images in post.

Just my $00.02 worth - your mileage may vary.

~John

Definitely better; I might consider cropping the cat shot so that there's more cat and less background and as well to move him/her out of the centre. Google "Rule of thirds".

Most reactions

Back