A few random ?'s

Bryant

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Since the arrival of my 70-200, I have found that I don't have the bag space so i'm looking into a new bag. I have a bag that held my 40D and the 28-135 attached, but it's too small. I was thinking about a backpack that has the velcro dividers, but I'm not really wanting to drop a ton of money. I hope to have a 50 f/1.8 and a 24-70L by january so i'll need something with the room. Any ideas?

Is it wise to get a polarizer. I've heard that circular polarizers are great to protect lenses. I am really afraid of scratching the front element and then being forced to replace that front element. I don't want to pay $100+ for the best quality because I just spent alot on the lens. Could I get away with a $10 cheepo to hold me over till i have the funds and would these in any way reduce the quality of it's "L" ness?

Final Question: What's the proper way to change lenses. I'm afraid of getting dust in my sensor, even though my camera has the shake, or damaging something inside. WHat I do is hold it upside down to prevent dust from floating down and then putting the lens in quickly. I've heard of people that swear by an aerosol can that they spray inside to blow anything out, but isnt there the chance of the liquid in the can spraying inside making matters worse?

Thanks

Since the arrival of my 70-200, I have found that I don't have the bag space so i'm looking into a new bag. I have a bag that held my 40D and the 28-135 attached, but it's too small. I was thinking about a backpack that has the velcro dividers, but I'm not really wanting to drop a ton of money. I hope to have a 50 f/1.8 and a 24-70L by january so i'll need something with the room. Any ideas?
Bags are really personal...I'd suggest getting to a store with a good stock and see what will work for you. I really like Lowepro products and I have several but there are other good ones as well.

Is it wise to get a polarizer. I've heard that circular polarizers are great to protect lenses. I am really afraid of scratching the front element and then being forced to replace that front element. I don't want to pay $100+ for the best quality because I just spent alot on the lens. Could I get away with a $10 cheepo to hold me over till i have the funds and would these in any way reduce the quality of it's "L" ness?
For protection, you want a UV filter...not a polarizer. A polarizer is a great filter for shooting outdoor stuff like landscapes but not useful indoors or when light is low. Get a UV filter and get something better than a $10 one. Because yes, everything you put in front of the lens, will affect the quality.

Final Question: What's the proper way to change lenses. I'm afraid of getting dust in my sensor, even though my camera has the shake, or damaging something inside. WHat I do is hold it upside down to prevent dust from floating down and then putting the lens in quickly. I've heard of people that swear by an aerosol can that they spray inside to blow anything out, but isnt there the chance of the liquid in the can spraying inside making matters worse?
Don't spray anything into your camera. Condensation, propellant etc can cause things to get wet or sticky...making matters worse. Plus, you might just be blowing it around and not out. I change my lenses by first turning the camera off (not sure if that helps, but I do it anyway). I hold the camera facing down and stay out of the wind...and I change the lens as quick as I can.

I use this bag :[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Backpack-200EG-Cameras-Greenish/dp/B00009R6TA/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1220639404&sr=8-1[/ame]

Even though it says "Canon" on it. :(

It holds my dSLR with 14-54 attached, my 50-200, my 50....and a variety of filters, batteries, and external flash, with no problem.

Actually just listen to Big Mike on all your questions...the man knows his stuff.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
If you're looking for something comfortable and inconspicuous, this is not the bag for you:
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Canon-100DG-Bag-SLR-Cameras/dp/B0000CCVC9/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1220643369&sr=1-5[/ame]

Yup. Using a Canon bag can be a shot to your ego, but the bag is great. Especially for being only about 50 bucks. Plenty of space. Plenty of padding. It's comfortable, unless you load it down with 90 pounds of camera gear, in which case it's still a back pack and it's still gonna rock your shoulders.

Good option though if you're on a budget.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

Back