A few recent portraits - it's been awhile! Here are a few recent favorites.

And you're right - on the details, I should have used a tighter aperture on #12. For the first part of my portrait phase (the past couple months) I have been using f/11 or smaller. But, now that I have canvas, I have opened it wider, thus the softness in #12. But, if I use too small aperture with canvas, the photos will look a little cheap, right?

First, I think 1 and 12 are the strongest. Composition on 1 is perfect, and I rarely use that word. 12, keeps me looking as I "feel" her looking at me.

As far as your cheap concern, not at all with the right lenses. My 85mm 1.2 L II makes any background look stunning. It is the perfect portrait lens.

An idea, if using the macro, why not try a ring light and bounce the rest of the fill. This would give you amazing catch lights. Just a thought. Don't you just love the 5D Mark II? I know you do.

Lastly, glad to see you are leaning away from closing up those lenses, open them wide. The softness in your photos is not a bad thing. Of course you are going to get this with F4.

The trick is to find the right balance. Maybe opening to F 2.8 or closing down to at least 5.6. It's kind of an all-or-nothing thing in my book.

I still think the best portrait lens is the 85, but truthfully, I do not like to use macro lenses, I prefer to use longer focal length for something tight in portraiture. I leave the macro's for shots other than people.

But really, 1,2,4,7,9,12 are just great. :thumbup:

Most reactions

Back