What's new

A final shell for your viewing pleasure

Very nice tones and detail....great job.
 
Beautiful work, Rick. I like the lines (curves) and all the textures that the seemingly simple lighting was able to bring out.
 
Very nice tones and detail....great job.

Thanks Mully ;)

Beautiful work, Rick. I like the lines (curves) and all the textures that the seemingly simple lighting was able to bring out.

Thanks Federico. The lighting couldn't be any simplier. Bare bulb reflector to light up the ridges and a sheet of paper to bounce a little light back on to the dark side.
 
Thanks Majeed. I might have to give that shot. Just giving the dark side enough light to hold the shape ;)
 
Nice job. Almost 3D. And did I say translucent.. later Ed
 
Thanks folks. Time to move on to another subject and I already have something in mind....
 
Rick, if you do another take on this, you might want to experiment with a polarizer, as there is a bit more glare off the shiny parts that obscures the really beautiful shape and texture. I also like Majeed's comment, and perhaps a small reflector on the right would bring in enough light to at least outline the shape, without taking away from the detail you captured on the main side. Thank you for posting this - shells are definitely worth our time as photographers.
 
Rick, if you do another take on this, you might want to experiment with a polarizer, as there is a bit more glare off the shiny parts that obscures the really beautiful shape and texture. I also like Majeed's comment, and perhaps a small reflector on the right would bring in enough light to at least outline the shape, without taking away from the detail you captured on the main side. Thank you for posting this - shells are definitely worth our time as photographers.

That's interesting, because I originally had a diffuser on the main light and removed it because it took away from the hightlighted ridges and reduced the sharp contrast I was looking for. This shell is varying shades of brown and without the high contrast, it just looked simply muddy in B&W.
I placed a second light on the right which also removed the high contrast. So, instead, I used a sheet of white paper as a reflector to bring up the shadows of the ridges.
A polarizer would allow me to keep the highlights while still keeping control of them. I'm also now rethinking the second light. Maybe placing it more to the rear, facing forward, to lighten the dark side of the entire shell without affecting the exposure on the face. Interesting...thanks.
 
Well, you nailed the DOF on this one. I really like the highlights and agree with your choice.
 
Really drives the eye in a circle. Reminds me of golden mean spiral. Beautiful lighting. Well composed. Perfect.
 
A great picture deserves a great word .... Opalescent!

Nice one Rick. :)
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom