A friend loaned me

redessa

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
an old violin. I was supposed to play with it so see if I like it. I'm not sure this is what she had in mind, but I'm having fun. ;) C&C is always appreciated, specifically, I was wondering about cloning the reflection of the bow from across the top of the violin body.

violin-web

Shot at 1/200, f 5.6, ISO 100 OCF with a reflective umbrella camera right. Post processing included desaturation and adding noise.

Good lighting and crop. I'd leave the reflection - adds an asymmetric curve to the violin.

Leave the reflection of the bow, but get rid of the stupid tape marking the frets if possible.

Makes the violin look cheap and amateurish.

Leave the reflection of the bow, but get rid of the stupid tape marking the frets if possible.

took the words right out of my mouth.

if it's an old violin, get rid of the fret tape. makes it look beginner.

Loaned isn't a word!!! :(

Picture looks very good though, but for some reason I don't like how the violin is going straight up and down, it seems awkward to me

Yes, the tape bugged me too, but it's not my violin to be taking it off. Her performance instrument does not have it, but she uses this one for teaching. In fact, the first thing she said to me when she handed it to me was "put your fingers on the tape marks." So I wouldn't dare remove it, but I might try to photoshop it out.

Loaned isn't a word!!! :(
Acording to www.dailywritingtips.com

"The word loaned is the past tense of the verb to loan. For example:
  • He loaned me a thousand pounds to start my business.
  • If you had loaned me the money when I asked for it, I’d have succeeded.
  • When I loaned him my tractor, I had no idea what he was going to do with it."
Lent is more commonly used in the UK but in America, loaned is perfectly acceptable.

Picture looks very good though, but for some reason I don't like how the violin is going straight up and down, it seems awkward to me

Thanks, I'll try it on an angle next time.

Violins dont have frets, lol. But i would peel those off too. Only little kids use the tape. To clone out the bow reflection just place the violin where you want it and take a picture. Then place the bow and take another picture. Layer the cut out what you need.

Yes, the tape bugged me too, but it's not my violin to be taking it off. Her performance instrument does not have it, but she uses this one for teaching. In fact, the first thing she said to me when she handed it to me was "put your fingers on the tape marks." So I wouldn't dare remove it, but I might try to photoshop it out.

Naw, just get her to bring over her nice violin one day that she plays on and take picture of that. Cloning out the tape is more trouble then it is worth. her performance instruments is bound to be nicer looking anyway.

To clone out the bow reflection just place the violin where you want it and take a picture. Then place the bow and take another picture. Layer the cut out what you need.

So simple and yet I probably wouldn't have even thought of it! Thanks! The consenus seems to be to leave it there, but I will file this away for future projects.

Had me scared for a second... thought for sure you were going to say you wanted to become a professional musician. :lmao:

I like the reflection of the bow in the shot, dislike the tape. I would also try this shot with the bow at an angle closer to the instrument so you can use something other than a square composition. I think the leading line of the bow might be more pleasing.

Had me scared for a second... thought for sure you were going to say you wanted to become a professional musician. :lmao:

ROTFL!!!! Um no. As it turns out, I'm not able to play the thing. I have a slight, generally unnoticed, hand deformity. Dinky pinkies. :( In technical terms, the 5th metacarpal bone in both hands is shorter than it should be. The result is that my "pinkies" only reach to the proximal interphalangeal joint of the 4th digit rather than the distal joint. Not because hte finger is abnormal, but because it starts down lower.

Here, let me show you. :)

Finger is short when my hand is open

IMG_0484

And you can see it when I make a fist as well

IMG_0486

In practical terms, aside from never having had a pair of gloves that fit properly, this causes me almost no inconvenience. But when it comes to playing instruments, I can't reach a full octave on the piano and apparently I cannot reach all the way across the neck of a full-sized violin. I am able to play the flute (or used to anyway) but hold it funny.

Most reactions

Back