A good, reasonably priced screen to edit on

sam_justice

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.samueljustice.net
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
When editing, I'm finding my laptop is showing me colours that are tinted blue. I've then hooked the laptop upto my television and set everything in the set to neutral, which helps slightly but it's still a long way from a good monitor to edit on. Once again I'm calling on my superiors at TPF for yet another annoying sam_justice question!

You can't really expect it to be accurate until you calibrate it. And to do that properly, you need a calibration device and the associated software.

Even with a good calibration kit, editing on a laptop screen is certainly not the best option.

There are plenty of posts on here, from people who know a lot more about screens that I do (you should be able to find them with a search)...but in a nut shell, most plat panel screens in the lower price range, are 'TN' monitors, which are not ideal for photo editing. To get a better one, you'll have to spend a few hundred dollars at least.

But still, a calibrated TN desktop monitor is going to be better than using your laptop screen.

You can't really expect it to be accurate until you calibrate it. And to do that properly, you need a calibration device and the associated software.

Even with a good calibration kit, editing on a laptop screen is certainly not the best option.

There are plenty of posts on here, from people who know a lot more about screens that I do (you should be able to find them with a search)...but in a nut shell, most plat panel screens in the lower price range, are 'TN' monitors, which are not ideal for photo editing. To get a better one, you'll have to spend a few hundred dollars at least.

But still, a calibrated TN desktop monitor is going to be better than using your laptop screen.

I've checked out the calibration kits and to be honest would rather fork out the extra £££($$$) on a screen.

Just checked out your landscape pics on your blog, look awesome!

Even spending money on a screen will not guarantee success. The best way to do it is to have a good screen AND to calibrate it.

A reasonably priced IPS panel is the Dell 2209WA -- about $300 US, I believe.

A laptop screen will never be accurate mainly because everytime you open it, its at a different viewing angle. Unless you somehow mark it so you open it the same exact angle. Even then they're extremely bright typically.

Last edited:
I've checked out the calibration kits and to be honest would rather fork out the extra £££($$$) on a screen.
Even if you spend $1000 on a screen, you still need to calibrate it with a calibration device. Some of the more expensive ones will even come with their own calibration system.

It's not a matter of the more expensive screens just being 'more accurate' than a cheaper screen...it's that the more expensive one can be calibrated more accurately and are capable of displaying more colors than the cheap ones.

The three hundred dollars there becomes £300 here, dell is about the most reasonable for an IPS, ebay sellers usually or direct from dell they're usually a bit more expensive in ripoff britain, certain panels come with a calibration device too and these folks are correct, for proper colour rendition they need calibrated at least monthly. H

I use a $300 23" LG 1080p monito with spyder calibration and it works pretty well for a cheaper alternative. There are minor design elements I dislike on the monitor, not effecting performance, but it does the job.

Most reactions

Back