Is 24 inches deep enough for a photo editing desk?

Destin

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys! First off, for those who remember me, it feels great to be back after a long hiatus. Over the past 2 years or so I've gotten married, bought a house, and adapted to a promotion at work, so I haven't had much time for photography in general, much less TPF. I'll get to the point:

My current project is turning one of my spare bedrooms into my home office/editing studio. I'm planning on going a bit industrial themed with it and using a rolling tool chest to store/organize my camera gear. As a result, I'm considering using a matching work bench for my desk, as linked here.

I like everything about it - price, durability, height, etc. My only concern is the 24" depth. Most desks seem to be 26-30" in depth, and I'm a little worried that this will feel to cramped or place me too close to the monitors (dual monitors, probably 27"). I'll probably mount the monitors on the wall to maximize desk space, so I think it will be okay.. I'm probably overthinking this as I do with everything. I'm just looking for any experiences you guys may have related to this.

TL;DR:

Is anyone using a desk for photo editing that's only 24 inches deep? What has your experience been if so?

The front screen of my 24" monitor sits 12" back from the from the front edge of my desk which is 24" deep by 50" wide and 30" high. The monitor takes up space behind the screen for its support. Its not a big desk but also has drawers in the front middle and sides. I think your setup should work. A bigger desk would be nice but my wife selected appearance over function. ;)

The picture will give you some idea of what 24' x 50" looks like with lots of clutter.

Welcome back and congrats on your various successes.

Attachments

• desk.jpg
    desk.jpg
    344.8 KB · Views: 16
One thing you said two monitors. My single is 24" wide so two means around the full width of a 50" desk. Your monitors are larger. So you'll lose access on the sides and behind the monitors with two. Putting them on a wall means you'll be another 12" at least away from them. Too far? Could you use wall brackets that allow them to be moved forward closer to you above the desk? Then you'd be able to have desk space for other things.

I use a 30" desk, but . . . the monitor is NOT at the back of the desk.
1 - The desk is not flush to the wall. I have about 4 inches of space between the desk and the wall, to make it easier for me to drop and pull cables (computer is on the floor under the desk), rather than drill a hole in the desk.
- I do not remember how I came up with that 4 inch space, but I must have had a reason, as it seems that 2 inches would be adequate.
2 - Wall shelves, 8" deep limit how far back I can put the monitor.

So, the front of the monitor is about 17 inches from the front edge of the desk.
Easily within a 24 inch deep desk.

re: distance from my head to the monitor

I sit so the monitor is about arms length (24 inches) from me.

I currently use a 32 inch curved monitor.
My previous monitor was a 24 inch flat. Position on the desk was about the same, due to the same wall shelf issue. And I sat at the same 24 inches from the monitor.

24 inches has been my personal standard for a LONG time. It just worked better for ME. And once I got "computer glasses," the 24 inch distance was how the prescription was made.
I only go closer when working on small laptop screens.

re: monitor stand

IF your wall can support it, I recommend a wall mount dual monitor support, that can pivot the monitors out and adjust the angles.
That frees up valuable desk real estate.
And you can adjust the monitors to be flat facing you. That is a limitation of WIDE FLAT monitors. I end up leaning to the side when I look at the sides of the monitor. Which is why I went with a curved monitor.
Some of the desk mounted dual monitor stands require space behind the stand, for the arms to flex. So if you go with a desk stand, you have to study the stand carefully before you buy.

re: monitor height

I have my monitor height positioned so that the CENTER of the monitor is at eye level.
That irked the ergo guys at various companies that I worked at. They "insisted" that I lower the monitor so the TOP of the monitor was at eye level, per "best ergronomic practices." Well pooey on them. That just caused me to hunch over and I developed a sore upper back and neck. So I went back to CENTER at eye level, and ignored their so called "expert" opinions.
So for ME, the CENTER of the monitor at eye level works best.
You have to determine what height works best for YOU.

Last edited:
Thank you both for the input! It seems that 24” should be plenty deep. I’m going to mock it up with some masking tape on my dining room table to be sure.

. . . . my wife selected appearance over function.

If I had a nickel for every time that has happened to me!

When you fit screens to the wall ensure you can tilt up down side to side, but you prob already know this.\
my screen 24inch is set so mid line of screen is eye level for me I am having to use a Desk that is not as wide, I now have less clutter

When you fit screens to the wall ensure you can tilt up down side to side, but you prob already know this.\
my screen 24inch is set so mid line of screen is eye level for me I am having to use a Desk that is not as wide, I now have less clutter

Hey another middle screen person. YAY.
I've argued with numerous ergo "experts" who told me my screen was too high.

Mine is set the same. IMO I feel like it contributes to better posture with less stress on my back/neck during long editing sessions. When the monitor was on the desk I tended to slouch.

Hi Destin! Nice to see you've been back on here.

This seems a bit narrow but I suppose it depends on how much you want to fit on a desk or table. And how tall you are, etc. Or how often you'd take breaks etc. and how long you'd be sitting.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back