A HONKER HUNT ~ (Warning Graphic Images)

Irishwhistler

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Aye Mates,
Myself and three gunning Mates took to the field on Saturday for the last day of the early season for Canada Geese. Following is a photo essay about our time spent afield. It is my hope to give a glimpse of the hunt and what a unique experience it is, yet there are so many commonalities found in the hunting experience that making just being there a spiritual journey of sorts. My intention is to share that affirmation with other hunters, whilst simultaneously teaching the non-hunter that the hunt is much more than folks killing birds as a matter of sport.

AL9KB3LxQ1+NLxjj5nlRJg_thumb_a139_Fotor.jpg

A Blind View ~ I took this photo from our blind looking out toward a view of our decoy spread, some of the many we deployed for our hunt. Four of us would be hunting this last day of the first half of a split season. A "split season" opens, closes, the reopens a few weeks later, this allowing a healthy number of birds to pass down the flyway whilst migrating without hunting pressure.

2fnSSmUKR2iIJcBm937kiA_thumb_a143_Fotor.jpg

Giving Us A Look ~ Our decoys were set with the utmost attention to detail taking wind conditions and their proximity to our blind into full consideration. Ourselves and the retrievers needed to be well hidden and motionless, we used our calls to imitate the many varying vocalizations that might make geese commit to flying within gun range of our spread. The slightest variable that makes geese feel insecure about wanting to land will see them pass by and keep flying until far out of sight. A flock of geese will often circle a decoy spread multiple times in their looking for anything they interpret as suspicious or indicative of danger. Once they commit, it's wings cupped and feet down as they attempt to swing in for a landing. Geese are shot whilst in the air and a clean kill is the objective of every ethical hunter. The taking of geese are highly regulated by both the individual state fish & wildlife agencies as well as the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.

The flock in this photograph gave us a quick look, but they did not commit to swinging within range of our guns.

BTkwTeMZQoOFWC7TtrAYNw_thumb_a13f_Fotor.jpg

Gun's Up ~ A view of our blind and my gunning Mates on our hunt Saturday. Firearm safety is prioritized as is the ethical taking of the game. Trained retrievers are utilized to assure that all game birds shot are recovered and that none are wasted. The total capacity of rounds that a firearm can hold whilst hunting waterfowl is limited to three. Each hunter is limited to a daily bag limit of two geese.

Zz6t9blkT5qM8PGyocUWdQ_thumb_a15b_Fotor.jpg

On Watch ~ My retrievers MAC and TRAD are seen peeking out of their secreted hide in the standing corn. Just as the gunners must be well hidden, so too must the dogs. The dogs must also have the vantage of being able to see and mark where shot birds fall. Both MAC and TRAD have been trained to work multiple retrieves and will go on the first bird sent upon, but will also commit to memory where additional birds have fallen so that they can make subsequent retrieves of those birds too. While birds are working overhead, the dogs literally vibrate with excitement, but are conditioned not to leave their place of hiding whilst staying motionless un til sent to make a retrieve by command.

aZpyKNMgSGSAGEqoFQaUBg_thumb_a1b5_Fotor.jpg

On The Job ~ My youngest gun dog MAC is seen making retrieve of a large Canada Goose as he has been trained to do. MAC will bring the goose back and deliver it into my hand upon the verbal command "GIVE". Both MAC and his sire TRAD were worked on retrieves throughout the day's hunt and did outstanding work with no geese lost.

Last edited:
yxOj4m%0SEqMrAdc1uJpkw_thumb_a1b1_Fotor.jpg

MAC At Work ~ Currently 19 months old, this year is MAC'S first season of actually hunting waterfowl. MAC hunted upland game birds last year during his first season afield. Like his sire TRAD, MAC is also a trained AKC and HRC K9 hunt test athlete.

MAC is seen here after having madden excellent retrieve of a large Canada Goose. MAC will hold the big goose firmly without releasing until he is given the verbal command "GIVE", at which hearing he will release the bird gently into my hand.

Vqa8LjgGS+ietxKhBRzUyA_thumb_a17b_Fotor.jpg

After The Hunt ~ MAC and TRAD are seen with the six Canada Geese we took during the course of this hunt. Both of these finely trained retrievers were awesome to watch in working with high desire and well honed skills. Any time these retrievers are hunting, they are truly beyond happy.

It is so satisfying to watch both MAC and TRAD applying the many skill sets we train upon throughout the off season. Seeing it all come together whilst afield hunting wild birds make the numerous hours spent training diligently by both trainer and retrievers worth every minute.

We left the field after this hunt with a total of six birds bagged, two birds short of the 8 birds we were allowed by law (2 birds per licensed / permitted hunter). The last flock that came in were grouped too tightly together to risk shooting at without the probability of accidentally taking a bird or birds exceeding the allowed limit. The two gunners that had still not reached their daily limit made the ethical decision not to risk taking that shot and we watched the flock fly away unharmed.

Granted, we hunt to harvest birds, but the hunt and the total experience is much deeper than that. We spent the morning watching the sun rise in the east and slowly bring the autumn foliage to brilliant hues that sooth the soul. We worked cooperatively in hauling equipment and deploying several dozen decoys with the hope of perhaps harvesting a few birds. We shared the camaraderie of the blind, discussions about our families, our enjoyment of music, our love for our dogs, our mishaps whilst fishing, and we swapped a few lies as well.

The combined total accumulated years of waterfowl hunting experience of the four hunter in our blind on Saturday fell well beyond one hundred years. At one point I clearly stated, "this just never get's old", and all present quickly gave their version of an Amen to that. The need to fill bag limits has long faded for each of us, yet the need to be there, hunting wildfowl, is a passion that burns deeply inside each of us. Memories were made on this hunt, and those will be our consolation when we are too frail do do so anymore.

Cheers,
THE DOG WHISTLER ☘️

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back