A Hush Goes Over the Village.

K9Kirk

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
593-sunset-back-yard-cvt-f (2).jpg

Certainly looks peaceful.

I really like this.The waterway leads you through the image and the reflections adds layers from the bottom to the top of the image. The saturation looks good to me. Great stuff.

I also like this one. The water curving into the sun is very dramatic as are the colors and saturation. Only little thing I'd likely do is raise the shadows on the houses along the water just a tad for a little more detail on the front of the houses.

I really like this.The waterway leads you through the image and the reflections adds layers from the bottom to the top of the image. The saturation looks good to me. Great stuff.
I also like this one. The water curving into the sun is very dramatic as are the colors and saturation. Only little thing I'd likely do is raise the shadows on the houses along the water just a tad for a little more detail on the front of the houses.

Thank you! I'd thought about raising the shadows but I did that with the last picture of the same scene and it's a pain to do so I decided to keep it more natural this time around. I took another last night and I think it's even darker, more silhouette like.

I'd thought about raising the shadows but I did that with the last picture of the same scene and it's a pain to do so I decided to keep it more natural this time around. I took another last night and I think it's even darker, more silhouette like.

I tend to follow the "either in or out rule" on silhouettes, but that's just me, your image, so you have to please yourself first. Raising the shadows with an adjustment brush set to auto mask is about as easy as it gets, in PS it's a little more difficult, but not terribly so with a selection mask.

The eye perceives light as brighter/darker in areas, not an overall even approach. One little trick I like in PS is "cookie cutter lighting". Open a curves adjustment layer, use the RGB curve to brighten the houses, you can also go to the color channels to tone the light a little warmer to match the sun. Now apply a black layer mask to completely hide the adjustment. Now use a soft white brush to brush away the effect on the houses. I'd start with an opacity of around 25% to open the area slowly. Start at the garage doors and work your way out. You can always adjust the opacity of the layer, or dbl click on the curve to adjust it to alter the effect.

I'd thought about raising the shadows but I did that with the last picture of the same scene and it's a pain to do so I decided to keep it more natural this time around. I took another last night and I think it's even darker, more silhouette like.

I tend to follow the "either in or out rule" on silhouettes, but that's just me, your image, so you have to please yourself first. Raising the shadows with an adjustment brush set to auto mask is about as easy as it gets, in PS it's a little more difficult, but not terribly so with a selection mask.

The eye perceives light as brighter/darker in areas, not an overall even approach. One little trick I like in PS is "cookie cutter lighting". Open a curves adjustment layer, use the RGB curve to brighten the houses, you can also go to the color channels to tone the light a little warmer to match the sun. Now apply a black layer mask to completely hide the adjustment. Now use a soft white brush to brush away the effect on the houses. I'd start with an opacity of around 25% to open the area slowly. Start at the garage doors and work your way out. You can always adjust the opacity of the layer, or dbl click on the curve to adjust it to alter the effect.

I can see you're far more advanced in PS than I am, I don't do all those things to my pictures, just the bare minimum I suppose you could call it. I do appreciate the critique though. Maybe if I ever get to that level of editing I'll start doing things like that. Thanks again!

I think the saturation is fine but as said, lifting the shadows is an option but not a deal breaker for me.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back