A Landscape Photography tip...

Sirashley

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello everyone, I stumbled across a tip that I felt greatly improved the quality of my shots, so I figured I'd share it. Awhile ago I joined a photography league on another site. A gentleman on my team was a professional Landscape photographer, and he taught me something that I have found invaluable so I figured I'd share it. He taught me about Hyperfocal distance. Simply put, its focusing on a close distance and shooting at a narrow aperture, thereby making everything behind that close distance in focus. Here is a link that will explain it much better than I ever could

Hyperfocal Distance

Here are clickable examples of a few of my shots

I really feel like this tip made a huge difference for me, so I figured I'd share it... Thanks for looking and pass your favorite tips along in your responses and maybe we can all learn something :D

Good stuff, never knew this. Thank you for the information

Great tip. I would never have thought to do something like that for landscape photography.

Thanks!

Thank you for posting. This was the best explanation of hyperfocal distance yet. It helped me understand it better.

Hello everyone, I stumbled across a tip that I felt greatly improved the quality of my shots, so I figured I'd share it. Awhile ago I joined a photography league on another site. A gentleman on my team was a professional Landscape photographer, and he taught me something that I have found invaluable so I figured I'd share it. He taught me about Hyperfocal distance. Simply put, its focusing on a close distance and shooting at a narrow aperture, thereby making everything behind that close distance in focus. Here is a link that will explain it much better than I ever could

Hyperfocal Distance

Here are clickable examples of a few of my shots

I really feel like this tip made a huge difference for me, so I figured I'd share it... Thanks for looking and pass your favorite tips along in your responses and maybe we can all learn something :D

What website did you join with a league? Those are some awesome photos by the way, I will definitely have to test it out when I go out and about.

Yep, it's a classic technique, and it really makes you appreciate wide-angle lenses. It also works like magic with HDR technique. There are some shots over on the HDR Forum that demonstrate it beautifully.

If you have an smart phone, there is a DOF calculator app ( thats free ), that will let you plug in the focal length f/stop and subject distance and tell you where the hyperfocal distance begins and whether focus goes to inifinity among other things. Might be useful to some.

Yup ... us film shooters are very familiar with that.
In the old days all lenses had DOF markings on them so you can visually see what the acceptable focus range was for a given aperture for that specific lens.

If you have an smart phone, there is a DOF calculator app ( thats free ), that will let you plug in the focal length f/stop and subject distance and tell you where the hyperfocal distance begins and whether focus goes to inifinity among other things. Might be useful to some.

Name of said application, please?

I just looked, and there are several. Just type "depth of field" into your apps search engine, and you'll get a long list. I don't know which one is best, but the one by Allen Zhong seems to have all the right stuff.

It sucks that lens manufacturers do not put the DOF markers on their lenses anymore.

Most reactions

Back