What's new

A Light in the Dark

Austin Greene

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Joined
Jan 6, 2012
Messages
1,472
Reaction score
855
Location
Mountain View, California
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm in my last couple days up here on the North Coast, so I'm making the best of it. I went out shooting yesterday evening after what turned out to be a 16 hour work day. I was deliriously tired, wandering into the dark near a beach I've photographed before when I spotted this wooden walkway. Several squid-fishing vessels were out, complete with the brightest sodium lamps I have ever seen (hence the color temp). I noticed one of them making rounds around a distant sea-stack, so I decided to wait until it was behind it before doing a bit of light painting. The grass colors were interesting, and varied with proximity to the walkway (I'm guessing the wood helps sequester moisture). All in all I spent about two hours shooting before getting home to wake up again today at 5.

All in all, I'd say it was a productive, worthwhile evening :) What do you think?

Best,
One ridiculously tired Austin

1.

A Light in the Dark by TogaLive, on Flickr

P.S: The file on Flickr is giant, but I'm posting the BBcode for a 2000px wide version, so hopefully it loads faster? Could someone let me know if this method actually works?
 
Did I really miss the mark that much? I was at least hoping for a comment on if the Flickr link was better.
 
I think this is absolutely gorgeous. Something I'd hang on the wall. Well done.

It loads quickly for me on the kobo.
 
Just left feedback on Flickr, LOVED this picture :)
 
Ok, I am NO pro. When I first saw it it, I said - great shot!
now, the more I look, it seems a little too bright on the 'boardwalk' area ? Otherwise, I really like it, well done.
Nancy
 
I know it's not possible, but I wish I could see more foreground. I love the sky, nice light painting... just not.. enough. Too much shadow on the lower left for me.

Jake
 
Thanks for the critique everyone! Glad to know the new links are working well. For those wondering a sodium lamp uses sodium dioxide (I believe) under either high or low pressure to produce a lot of light. The deal is that the longer they run, the brighter they get, so these boats love to use them. They have a characteristic color cast, and are used in many places for street lighting.


I know it's not possible, but I wish I could see more foreground. I love the sky, nice light painting... just not.. enough. Too much shadow on the lower left for me.

Jake

I hear you man. I experimented trying to get more spread with the foreground lighting, but it just wasn't possible. I am hoping to reshoot it someday when I've got a moon to use, that would provide perfect foreground lighting.
 
Thanks for the critique everyone! Glad to know the new links are working well. For those wondering a sodium lamp uses sodium dioxide (I believe) under either high or low pressure to produce a lot of light. The deal is that the longer they run, the brighter they get, so these boats love to use them. They have a characteristic color cast, and are used in many places for street lighting.


I know it's not possible, but I wish I could see more foreground. I love the sky, nice light painting... just not.. enough. Too much shadow on the lower left for me.

Jake

I hear you man. I experimented trying to get more spread with the foreground lighting, but it just wasn't possible. I am hoping to reshoot it someday when I've got a moon to use, that would provide perfect foreground lighting.

Or use a monopod with a flash/umbrella? Something to reach out further? I look forward to the next one!

Jake


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Thanks for the critique everyone! Glad to know the new links are working well. For those wondering a sodium lamp uses sodium dioxide (I believe) under either high or low pressure to produce a lot of light. The deal is that the longer they run, the brighter they get, so these boats love to use them. They have a characteristic color cast, and are used in many places for street lighting.


I know it's not possible, but I wish I could see more foreground. I love the sky, nice light painting... just not.. enough. Too much shadow on the lower left for me.

Jake

I hear you man. I experimented trying to get more spread with the foreground lighting, but it just wasn't possible. I am hoping to reshoot it someday when I've got a moon to use, that would provide perfect foreground lighting.

Or use a monopod with a flash/umbrella? Something to reach out further? I look forward to the next one!

Jake


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmm, a good idea, I'll have to give it a shot. I've used my flash in the past, but actually found that even with it at full power, the bike light has more reach (it's a crazy bright bike light, separate battery pack and all). Perhaps using an umbrella would at least help with spreading the light around if I could dangle it above areas well enough.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom