A little Fire & Ice in town last night

Constructive criticism:

I have a couple comments about this series. First where are all the people? I think the images start to get repetitive without anyone in them. Was that the effect you were going for? If so I would wait for the reporters to leave than take the images, they are distracting in there bright blue and red jackets. Also your highlights seem really blown out during the day shots, and your blacks fall off in your night shot. Was the photos shot in auto mode or manual?

I like the image with the frozen power lines the best. My eye is drawn in by the power lines, down the pole and across the building. That is good execution. The only thing that bothers me is the blown out sky, and the man walking in the background my eye gets stuck on him for a sec. Both things that you can fix really easy next time.

There were few people out as the temp was about 20 F and 18-22 mile per hour wind. The only ones walking around were police, fire, news, and city officials. And most of them were only out a few min. at a time. The crowds were out when the fire was active and 9 fire companies were fighting it. Unfortunately, the more sane of us were sleeping at the time the fire was raging and were unaware of the emergency. This town is the largest in out county, the county seat and is about 17 miles from where we live. My my effort was to document the damage as I saw it. The thread was started with a single image, but I thought it might be interesting to see the extent of the damage in daylight. I shot these for my interest, the serious PJ work was done the night before by others on the scene.

You mention the blown out sky. Please enlighten me as to how an image can be shot were the foreground is in shade and the sky is bright and cloudless and not blow out the sky if the focal point must be properly exposed? I am not aware of any practical method without employing HDR. We are all aware digital has a more narrow dynamic range than film, although digital is catching up.

Try this expose for the sky then stop your camera down a stop.

If you use editing software you can tone the image with a simple curves adjustment layer.

I think if John was trying to get a "glamor" shot out of this, yes he could put it through some post processing. But the fact is, he was taking these shots more of a journalistic view. So therefore these pictures are very accurate. If you want a "glamour"/hang on the wall shot, the first one would be your bet.
Photos can always have PP done to them but, it also is determined on their function and purpose.

There is a huge difference between a "glamor" photograph and an image that is exposed properly. The image was slightly over exposed, which is distracting. Even if you are shooting in a journalistic fashion the image should be exposed and executed properly.

Try this expose for the sky then stop your camera down a stop.

If you use editing software you can tone the image with a simple curves adjustment layer.

Difficult when they was about 8 stops difference between the harsh shadow on the subject and the clear winter noon sky. But thanks for the suggestion.

There is a huge difference between a "glamor" photograph and an image that is exposed properly. The image was slightly over exposed, which is distracting. Even if you are shooting in a journalistic fashion the image should be exposed and executed properly.

If you had been there to see it live, the burned out area was so black it was almost featureless. It it exposed to bring out some detail and features to give the shot some interest. But, again thanks for the advise.

I think overall the picture looks realistic. It isn't a pretty scene.

How confusing.. ScottS and ScottyS...

How can we make this interesting.. hmmm

Most reactions

Back