Shooting Night pictures of stars (and stuff)

I just got a good DSLR and have started taking pictures of stars. I found your writing very useful. thank you very much!!

Sam

Those are absolutely AMAZING! I plan on trying this as soon as I get all the right equipment lol. I love stars and being able to photograph them will make me a very happy camper <3 Thank you so much for posting this :D

Sw1tch are you in Portland, OR?

Awesome work! I tried to do long exposures but for whatever reason my pictures of the stars always came up overexposed if i did long exposures. Even if I boosted ISO to 100 and f to 22. Why is that? I even figured that i needed a density filter or something to prevent too much light coming in. And mind it, i was outside the town where it was absolutely dark and i didn't do exposures longer than 10 minutes.

wow! awesome shooting. i liked

After a fair amount of personal night photography, the OP's images are inspiring. Thanks for posting.

Excellent tips and equally awesome samples. Night photos are challenging to shoot yet they are also among the most dramatic ones to capture. Thanks for such informative posts.

Extremely awesome write-up. Hope I can figure out how to "bookmark" or something. Im kinds new to this friggin awesome forum

Thx for the awesome tips. Cannot wait to see how I m doing for the night shoots!

I am so surprised after visit your post absolutely brilliant photographers you are. These shoots are mindblowing !!

I figured it could benefit us all if there was a sticky about it
MODS - Why hasn't this happened yet?

If ever there was a thread deserving of being stickied, would this not be one of them??

Because I just used all our really sticky glue to make my models stick together :)

Actually its more because if we sticky all the good articles we'd end up with a maze of sticky articles and that would then be counter productive. What is possible is if a single thread were made which acted like an index. Listing important articles in the section we are in (the Articles of Interest section). Such a thread can be stuck to the top and can then index and list (with a short description) the articles here which are worth reading. That way we only have to make one sticky which can be updated from time to time (either by the member that creates it or a passing mod).

What is possible is if a single thread were made which acted like an index. Listing important articles in the section we are in (the Articles of Interest section). Such a thread can be stuck to the top and can then index and list (with a short description) the articles here which are worth reading. That way we only have to make one sticky which can be updated from time to time (either by the member that creates it or a passing mod).
Like what LaFoto did with the themes section, right? Why hasn't that been done here...?

:lol:

(If there was a section that needed an index, I think 'Articles of Interest' is it...)

Last edited:
Because............................................... we are overworked and underpaid?

well at least under paid ;)

Truth is I've no idea why there isn't something and heck there might have been in the past but it got lost (some updates can desticky stickies which means if no one remembers to re-sticky them they get lost). But if you want to see it go ahead and start building one :). Like I said its not something a mod has to start - we can edit any posts if a member isn't around to adjust them themselves and a regular appearing member can easily start things up and edit their own posts at any time to add new content .

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back