A Little Pre-4th Cuteness

I understand the concept, but really, you need to get that dog's butt off the flag.

I understand the concept, but really, you need to get that dog's butt off the flag.

Yeah, I thought about that, but the shot just kinda happened. I was shooting my granddaughter, and Sadie decided she wanted in. We were shooting to send to her dad, who is again in the VA hospital for the umpteenth time. The flag was given to him, after it was flown by a fighter pilot acquaintance of his, over Iraq in 2009.

This is a wonderful image! The perfectionist in me wishes there was a little more room, feet weren't cropped, etc, and yeah, I agree about the flag, but all those things are minor and pale in comparison to the absolutely wonderful expression. Well done! Nominated for POTM

I think the vintage look went a bit too far on her hair...but otherwise, okay, and it ADDS to the appeal. Overall, the flag is not a concern for me, and I think the proppping and subjects and the vintage look are all well-conceived. I think this shot is a good family memory shot!

This is a wonderful image! The perfectionist in me wishes there was a little more room, feet weren't cropped, etc, and yeah, I agree about the flag, but all those things are minor and pale in comparison to the absolutely wonderful expression. Well done! Nominated for POTM

Thanks for the kind words, and thank you for the nomination. I really wish that my hands were steadier, because when you're locked in on a tripod, it's hard to adjust rapidly. This was one of those "just kind of happened to be in the right spot kind of things".

I think the vintage look went a bit too far on her hair...but otherwise, okay, and it ADDS to the appeal. Overall, the flag is not a concern for me, and I think the proppping and subjects and the vintage look are all well-conceived. I think this shot is a good family memory shot!

Thanks Derrel, always appreciate your comments and advice. I really didn't notice the hair, but you're right I need to revisit and see about making some adjustments there. I used a preset to start in LR, then made changes, then went into PS for final edit. Somewhere along the line, the hair must have taken a left turn.

I guess even a "blind pig" can find an acorn every now and then. The likes, shares, and comments on social media haven't slowed down all day on this.

Nor should they... this is pure Norman Rockwell!

Thanks but, not sure it goes that far, maybe "Americana".

I'm really having fun with my photography now, as I explore new directions. The only downside is that the new project ideas are coming so fast that I can't keep up.

Nor should they... this is pure Norman Rockwell!

Thanks but, not sure it goes that far, maybe "Americana".

I'm really having fun with my photography now, as I explore new directions. The only downside is that the new project ideas are coming so fast that I can't keep up.
I can't find the work I was thinking of, but even here, if you just look at the faces, the expressions are sooooo similar. When do we see more?????

When do we see more?????

LOL, really, I can't just stop there and say "all good"? I'm still working on the "repeatability" aspect of my photography!!!

Cool when the right time, right place happens and you get a great shot.

I think I'd like it better without the fog; to me it isn't vintage as much as haze I'm trying to see thru. (To me it's almost like a messed up exposure on film, which I've had happen and it turns out about like this.) The subject and photo themselves are great without needing special effects I think.

Cool when the right time, right place happens and you get a great shot.

I think I'd like it better without the fog; to me it isn't vintage as much as haze I'm trying to see thru. (To me it's almost like a messed up exposure on film, which I've had happen and it turns out about like this.) The subject and photo themselves are great without needing special effects I think.

To each their own, the photo as posted has continued to circulate on the social media sites, having passed the 1k mark, within hours of publishing. The "haze" or "fog" in this technique is more of a "selective" desaturation of certain colors, while boosting other colors like reds. If you'll notice in the OP versus the original below, there isn't much difference in the reds, other than they are brighter in the first edit

Jemmye July 4th06302017_568.jpg by William Raber, on Flickr

Great Picture, Agree With Tirediron Very Norman Rockwell & God Bless Her Daddy For His Service To Country!!!

(May He Get Well Soon!!!)

Enezdez

Most reactions

Back