A look inside a pocket digital

Railphotog

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
sites.google.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I bought a Sanyo pocket digital camera on a local online site because it seemed like a great deal - $7.00. The seller said he'd lost the USB cord and couldn't use the camera, and the battery had died. The cord served both to download images and charge the battery.

I found two new batteries and a charger on eBay for $10.00, postage included. Once I had the batteries charged, I got the camera to work. Well for a while, as the next time I tried to turn it on it would not. Figuring I didn't have much to loose, I opened up the camera, it came apart with about 8-10 small screws. There was a white film all over one end of the front circuit board, looks like milk or something similar had been spilled on it. I carefully removed it with a cotton swab and alcohol, and reinserted the battery - and it worked!

While I had it apart, I took a few photos of the front and back, as I was amazed at how many little thingies were incorporated into this pocket sized marvel. So I got a 7MP camera with a 3X zoom for $17.00. Here are its innards:

Sanyo1May2011.jpg

Sanyo13Mar2011-1.jpg

Sanyo13Mar2011-3.jpg

Sanyo13Mar2011-2.jpg

I was able to download a manual from the Sanyo site, and discovered the camera has an internal memory. I checked and found there were 7-8 photos taken by the previous owner, seemed to be of a family vacation. I downloaded them and contacted him asking if he'd like to have them. His reply was a short "no thanks", so I deleted them. Of course he sent me another message later asking to see them. Too late!

Nice post. I find it amazing how "electronic" P&S digicams actually are...all the mechanical screws,springs,retaining clips and rings, and such of old 35mm P&S cameras of my youth have been replaced by IC's and whatnot...

Great story.

Many people assume if some consumer electronic device quits working, it isn't repairable.

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. - Arthur C. Clarke

:lmao:

The smoke just means the devices needs a little TLC.

Back when I repaired mainframe computer hardware that had smoked, we always told them it was a software problem.

It's not just ordinary smoke, people........... it's magic smoke!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back