A lot of Nikon over Canon?

I believe that Nikon has now jumped a body ahead of Canon with the D3s and x, they are suppose to be releasing a D4 later this year, I'm not sure what Canon has planned. Canon blew it with the Mklll and the back focus problems, they fixed alot with the mklv, but that also gave Nikon the chance to jump ahead. It will be an interesting year.

For me, when getting my first dslr (and still my only), I had both a Canon and Nikon body picked out.... the first used one I saw on craigslist at a good price won. Happened to be Canon. Really enjoy my 40D.

they're sort of the same. most well known tried and true photographers trust the canon name though.

I believe that Nikon has now jumped a body ahead of Canon with the D3s and x, they are suppose to be releasing a D4 later this year, I'm not sure what Canon has planned. Canon blew it with the Mklll and the back focus problems, they fixed alot with the mklv, but that also gave Nikon the chance to jump ahead. It will be an interesting year.

Interesting, dispite this, didn't the Canon 550D and the 7D win "Best of the year" for their respective categories?

I have heard of Nikons as having better color capture and Canons being better for shutter speed. I generally take a lot more sports photography and action pictures so I have always used Canon. Other than that, I haven't heard of too much of a difference.

Thus far I'm only aware of one single difference between canon and nikon that is worth worrying about in reality - and even then its a pretty darn minor point for 99% of most photographers - and there are good work around options anyway for nikon

Because Canon are the only ones that make the Macro God Lens!

4310517385_5a191372c6_z.jpg

5378988644_f9652b3a4e_z.jpg

As for all those camera bodies - meh they chop and change so darn fast its hardly worth worrying about the little difference that get nitpicked on save when you're first starting out. Even once your far into things the change over from brands will only bring marginal real world differences - and besides it costs so darn much to swap over its mostly not even a worry.

Ps one of the best macro shooters I know does high mag stuff and doesn't even use a Canon (in fact last I recall he doesn't use a canon or a nikon!)

World-wide Canon and Nikon have almost equal DSLR market share. Nikon has had a slight market share lead in recent years.

Canon and Nikon have about 75% of the market. All the other camera makers split the remainder.

Interesting, dispite this, didn't the Canon 550D and the 7D win "Best of the year" for their respective categories?
Who declared them "Best of the YEAR"?

Most 'best of the year' contests only apply to new products released in that year, so the 7D (released 2009) would not be judged against a Nikon D300 (released 2007).

By the same token the 550D and Nikons D90 are also a couple of years apart.

Last edited:
I see far more Canons than Nikons in the areas I photograph - photo pits at live music venues. To be fair though, a few of those are being used for video.

I chose Nikon for low-light performance. Simple, really.

I am seeing a lot of people preferring Nikon over Canon on here,....
And as a Sony shooter, with the Nikon vs Canon debate, what is your conceptual continuity? It should be easy to see. The crux of the biscuit is the apostrophe.
It doesn't
And you can't
I won't
And it don't
It hasn't
It isn't
It even ain't
And it shouldn't
It couldn't
He told me no, no, no
I told him yes, yes, yes
I said I do it all the time
Ain't this boogey a mess

Thanks Frank..........

Are you throwing a log into the fire?

Big difference between the two ................PRICE.......... Nikon is more expensive than Canon . I had Nikon film cameras chose Canon when I jumped to digital . I felt Canon offered more variety of lenses and accessories.

Jtee has a point on price - esp when you look at his signature - wildlife and sports shooters often in need of long telephoto lenses of high quality have often in the past gone toward Canon because they not only tended to have lower prices on the high end lenses with long focal lengths, but also had more on offer in the £1000 price bracket (a 100-400mm - a 300mm and a 400mm). in comparison to Nikon.

However I think that pattern is soon to change since canon have been slowly re-releasing their supertelephoto lenses with very high prices tags. Granted these will lower once on the market (though they have been delayed by raw mineral shortages in Japan and, more recently as a result of the disaster), but its expected that the once present price difference between canon and nikon is going to be lost or at least not what it once was.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back