A new Nikon a new year..

hondo78

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This year is starting off well, I have Nikon Digital and have a few moments captured in time already. The D5100 is a competent tool, however the menu language seems a bit foreign, Info buttons in multiple locations etc. I have some afore mentioned video images, and after following a YouTube video to make feature control changes, I cannot review these images, as they are now "Grayed out, I find no info on this issue or how to resolve it, I am sure I made a decision in the Shooting Menu that has rendered my work captive, however I am also sure this is a simple user error. Does anyone have a suggestion?
Note: I also tethered my laptop to the camera and copied one of these files to my hard drive, (Plan B) and it now shows it is not a recognizable file for viewing.
Many questions, and some frustration, a cup of coffee at the cafe will bring some solace I am sure.

Somewhere in the menus you will find "restore original settings." I'd try that first. If that can't be done for some reason, try holding down the menu button and the info (i) button at the same time. I think this should do a reset.

.. as they are now "Grayed out, I find no info on this issue or how to resolve it, I am sure I made a decision in the Shooting Menu that has rendered my work captive, however I am also sure this is a simple user error. Does anyone have a suggestion?
Note: I also tethered my laptop to the camera and copied one of these files to my hard drive, (Plan B) and it now shows it is not a recognizable file for viewing.
Some menu items will be grayed out if they are no longer relevant to some other setting. One or more of your changes has over-ridden the need for whatever is grayed out. If you can't figure out which settings caused that, do a factory reset.

You can't really see a Raw file as an image. To view a Raw file, you will need to convert it to a JPEG or TIFF or PNG file. But there is a JPEG thumbnail embedded in the Raw file, so just get a software that will support Raw files and convert a copy so you can view it.

Yes, some menu options will be "grayed out" or hidden, but that's usually because you have it in an "auto mode". Setting it to manual or program mode will make those available.

My guess is the OP has the image quality/format set to RAW. (Had to reread this) When downloaded to a computer it would appear to be "grayed out", if you want to call it that.

Change it to JPEG or RAW + JPEG. Or get software that will view RAW files.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back