A new Nikon V. Canon question. But not what you think.

You'll need to forgive me for saying this, but..

When I want to take a photo of a specific science, I want the friggin thing to work!
Not fight it, set up some set of predefined parameters, or menu hunt for the "right" combination of button pushing to take a damn photo!

Like I said, with the Fuji I have NO PROBLEMS!
I am seriously considering dumping Canon completely over this.

I’m sure people have dumped canon for much less, so go for it, see how much greener that grass really is?!?! LoL
I think the problem is camera set-up. I’ve been using Canon since 07 and being a sports shooter I can predict when I’m gonna have a hunt problem. Like In studio when it’s too dark to lock focus. But I know it before I start to try and focus and adjust or do a work-around accordingly.
In low light in some situations you can use the focus assist beam and other times the only way to be sure is to use manual focus.
Some cameras will focus in extremely low light.
Shooting a BIF isolated against an all blue sky one needs to know from experience what combination of focus modes will yield the best results. Of course sports cameras do this better but they’re expensive and still not infallible.
In all cases we need to know our equipment well enough to use the right focus modes to get predicable results and not give us any unwanted focus surprises!!!
SS

Well each to his own.

So Ill follow the path I think is right.

OK for those who have seen me post regularly, you know I shoot Canon.

I won't rehash the whole story of how I came into Canon, only that my Minolta was stolen and it was the new option for me at the time.

I have stuck doggedly to Canon not for some fan-boy reason, but because when you sink $1600 into an outfit, you usually want it to last.

But recently I finished up a set of photos for my niece and toward the end of the shoot (the reception of her wedding done in a dimly lit area) some of the final photos were total garbage. Out of focus, focused in the wrong spot, etc.

But while doing this I remembered a specific issue I have always had with the Canon line from the 1Ds to the 70D.
There are times when in any mode, from full on auto to full manual, the friggin thing simply wont fire. Push the shutter all I want. Slam it, hit it, yell at it, threaten it with a shotgun, nothing works.
it simply won't shoot.
I missed quite a few shots because of this issue.

I have tried every setting, changing settings, reset the camera, pull all batteries, blah blah blah.

Does Nikon have this issue? is there some mysterious "we know better than you" programming in the Nikon that keeps the camera from firing if it simply doesn't like the settings?
or is this simply a Canon thing?

I have noticed that the Fuji isn't susceptible to this. Hence why I think I may have to re-consider Canon overall.

Interesting article. Your experience mirrors mine exactly when I had the same issue with my Canon EOS Rebel T5 body. An excellent release from Canon, I really enjoyed working with it as it was very easy to manipulate its features into some truly awesome images. Okay, the problem with the Canon T5 as I said, was that the shutter just plain quit at approximately 80,000 shutter actuations. I sent the unit into Canon and they confirmed that the shutter had reached the end of its useful life. I wasn't really disappointed since I purchased the gear directly from Canon and the entire outfit was refurbished and came with a one year twelve month warranty. I had the T5 for a little over 5 years and it never skipped a beat. Nikon? Well, my experiences with Nikon have always been exemplary. Never had a problem with any of the bodies that I have owned and I have owned more than my fair share. I recently sold my Nikon D200 with more than 123,000 shutter actuations and never even had it serviced in 10 years. Yes, I do regret letting the Nikon D200 go. I miss it a lot. Nikons now are so great that they are referred to as "A poor man's Leica." . Thanks for reading. Tony. :))

I won't rehash the whole story of how I came into Canon, only that my Minolta was stolen and it was the new option for me at the time.

I have stuck doggedly to Canon not for some fan-boy reason, but because when you sink $1600 into an outfit, you usually want it to last.

But recently I finished up a set of photos for my niece and toward the end of the shoot (the reception of her wedding done in a dimly lit area) some of the final photos were total garbage. Out of focus, focused in the wrong spot, etc.

But while doing this I remembered a specific issue I have always had with the Canon line from the 1Ds to the 70D.
There are times when in any mode, from full on auto to full manual, the friggin thing simply wont fire. Push the shutter all I want. Slam it, hit it, yell at it, threaten it with a shotgun, nothing works.
it simply won't shoot.

I have tried every setting, changing settings, reset the camera, pull all batteries, blah blah blah.

Does Nikon have this issue? is there some mysterious "we know better than you" programming in the Nikon that keeps the camera from firing if it simply doesn't like the settings?

I have noticed that the Fuji isn't susceptible to this. Hence why I think I may have to re-consider Canon overall.

it simply won't shoot.

New here, Hi Everyone!

Agree with Derrel (#6) the Nikon system permits you to select release, I select the option of releasing even if the camera doesn't acknowledge I am in focus. Under dark conditions, where the focus system begins to hunt, I select the lightest object or reflection to focus on, using single spot focusing point. Sometimes I will use manual focus to refocus for sharpness and shoot. My Nikons have never locked me out, the feature option works efficiently. I shoot entirely in manual other than the AF.

Most reactions

Back