A new portfolio piece - C&C

sam_justice

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.samueljustice.net
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
The famous West Pier in Brighton, there isn't an angle or time of day that hasn't been shot a million times here. I knew the tide was out so at least my version is rarer than most, since the tide hardly ever goes out here. Was so annoyed I left my nd filter at home.
8XVdw.jpg

I'm not 100% sure about this. Colours and lighting are nice, but I think the large, solid black band running through the middle of the pier structure is bothering my eye. I realize that there's not a lot you can do about it, but...

I wonder if this might not have been a more interesting image if you'd done a long (>5 sec) exposure to give the water that 'foggy' effect.

I like this shot... If it were me, I would take it into PS or something, and bring a little more pop out in those sky colors. Maybe a little tighter crop as well... Overall though, I really like the subject in this photo.

I don't know. It's just not speaking to me. And, believe me, this is my kind of picture. It seems... dark. I like the idea; something that was once so beautiful and worthy of a sunset photo, that's now been destroyed and forgotten, but is still worthy of that sunset photo. I just think it needs more... something. lol. I know, big help.

I'm just not sure I would put it in my portfolio if I were you. Perhaps a reshoot on a day you have that filter with you? And maybe a tad longer on the shutter?

I don't know. It's just not speaking to me. And, believe me, this is my kind of picture. It seems... dark. I like the idea; something that was once so beautiful and worthy of a sunset photo, that's now been destroyed and forgotten, but is still worthy of that sunset photo. I just think it needs more... something. lol. I know, big help.

I'm just not sure I would put it in my portfolio if I were you. Perhaps a reshoot on a day you have that filter with you? And maybe a tad longer on the shutter?

Yeh I agree, the sunset lacks anything interesting colour wise. I'll try again tomorrow with my ND filter if I can find it!

I'm not 100% sure about this. Colours and lighting are nice, but I think the large, solid black band running through the middle of the pier structure is bothering my eye. I realize that there's not a lot you can do about it, but...

I wonder if this might not have been a more interesting image if you'd done a long (>5 sec) exposure to give the water that 'foggy' effect.

Now that you point the black band out, it is bothering me as well....

Now that you point the black band out, it is bothering me as well....

I can't do anything about the structure..

You can always reshoot it again sometime! That's the nice thing about piers... very seldom do they go anywhere ;) I think it's an okay shot, but I'd try from a different angle and see if you can't get rid of the appearance of the black band. Good luck!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back