A Nice Big Lense

superhornet59

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I have fairly big hands, and i like having a really big (diameter) lens, it helps me get a very stable shot.

using a D70 with a rather large lens (forgot what model) i managed to get a handheld 3 SECOND exposure that is sharper then what my cell phone's camera does at 1/10th.

so, im looking for a nice big lens. what are some real big standard zoom lenses?

and a bit off topic, i know how sigma has its 28-300mm lens, but why do i keep hearing rumours of a 18-300 out there?

Thanks -Matt

Really big? It sounds like you are looking for a lens that is physically large and not a big zoom. There is a 18-200, but it's pretty compact. Nikon has one and I think Sigma does as well (don't keep up on the third party glass). You want a large, high quality lens look at the Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8, it is nicknamed The Beast and is a super lens, extremely sharp (and large). Then there is the 70-200mm f/2.8 VR for a top shelf lens with more reach. A little less expensive is the 80-400VR. Sigma has one that's called Bigma a 50-500mm lens but I don't know anything about it's quality, but in general a lens with a 10x zoom is going to have compromises in image quality to get the range.
Without knowing what you want to shoot and what your budget is it's hard to recommend something based on size alone.

That looks great! That 28-70 is what i was shooting before, that thing feels great in the hand.

as for the 70-200, I felt it was a bit too imposing for a lens that could only go 200mm. I like to use it in darker areas because of its constant 2.8 aperture throughout the range.

I mean everyones lens choice is different, but mine is pretty much (and yes i am a fan of sigma, there lenses are really smooth and high quality)

-Sigma's 12-24 for wide angles
-Sigma's 28-300 for on the move photography
-Sigma's 300 - 800
-that Nikkor 28-70

I only have a 28-300 (admittedly i wouldnt shoot wildlife at 300 due to the loss in sharpness) but its very good for a lense with 10+x zoom range.
I doubt ill ever afford a 300-800, but ive shot with it once and it was just a masterpiece.

nayway that was just the lens im looking for! thanks!

by the way, what are some other 'super lenses' out there?

Thanks -Matt

superhornet59 said:
by the way, what are some other 'super lenses' out there?
Super lenses? Well, there's always the nikon 200-400 f/1.4 VR on special order for $24,000......

Most reactions

New Topics

Back