A photo I took is going on a magazine cover!

sam_justice

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.samueljustice.net
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm really chuffed, a photo I took is being used for a local magazine cover. It's called the Kemptown Rag and goes out to everyone who lives in Kemptown (a small part of Brighton city in the UK) it has a readership of about 10,000 people.

This is the photo, it's called "Kemptown at Night" (technical info, Nikon D90, 18-55mm lens shot at F8 exposure bracketed. The 3 bracketed exposures were merged together in Photomatix's exposure fusion mode).

NyoEE.jpg

Myself and my url (which links to my flickr Flickr: Samuel Justice's Photostream) is getting credited as well. Comes out the 24th October, so excited!

Grats, thats pretty awesome :thumbup:

What happened Sam? All of the sudden you are HDR happy :). I think I remember you saying you did not like HDR like a week ago :). Nice photo!

pretty sweet! How'd you end up getting it into the magazine? Did someone just see it? or? haha

What happened Sam? All of the sudden you are HDR happy :). I think I remember you saying you did not like HDR like a week ago :). Nice photo!

Haha! It's not HDR! It's exposure fusion, apparently it's the *new* HDR!
**scratches head** uhhhh isn't that what HDR is?

Nice shot. Might look odd on a cover though given the orientation.

I used to write a very small article for it, then recently got in touch to ask if they'd be interested in using any of my pics and they wanted to! Very chuffed!

Haha! It's not HDR! It's exposure fusion, apparently it's the *new* HDR!
**scratches head** uhhhh isn't that what HDR is?

Nice shot. Might look odd on a cover though given the orientation.

I actually thought so too, the original is cropped differently but these were the dimensions they sent, and were happy with the image I sent back.

Also - exposure fusion - Exposure Fusion – Best Way To Blend Images Kevin McNeal Photography

Exposure Fusion is quite different in many ways then HDR. The only resemblance the two have are that they combine a sequence of bracketed images together. That is where the similarities end. First of all Exposure Fusion is a low dynamic range result rather then a high dynamic range. This means that the final product looks more realistic to how the scene really would like. This means that the shadows maintain a certain amount of shadows and the highlights remain brighter in higher tonalities then a high contrast scene. HDR takes the sequence of images and blends the images seamlessly but does its best to even the tonalities in the extreme tonalities of shadows and highlights. This is what gives HDR the appearance of artificiality and unnaturalness. Exposure Fusion after fusing the images together keeps the tonalities how they would appear if one was to be looking at the actual scene being photographed. When one views a HDR image a keen photography eye can spot the uneven transition between the luminance and can therefore lose the appeal of realism. Now I am not saying that one is better then the other in terms of an artistic point of view but that Exposure Fusion produces results that are truer to the scene that the photographer is trying to capture.

Exposure Fusion Advantages Over HDR

Exposure Fusion processing times takes much less due to a absence of a intermediate HDR image that must be created before one can tone map a HDR image. Thus, processing times are twice as fast when transferring back into Photoshop. The most important advantage in Exposure Fusion is the lack of halos that appear around objects that occur with HDR. Often when combining images HDR produces a very three-dimensional image that looks very impactful but when viewed closer the halos become more evident. As a side note eliminating those halos in HDR can be quite difficult and time consuming. To get around the problem of halos in HDR layer masks and careful brushing is essential.

One very important advantage of Exposure Fusion is that it can combine a series of bracketed images with different depths of field that extend the Depth Of Field in an image and give the perception of more three-dimensional qualities in the image. This presents an advantage to many obstacles when it comes to nature photography. For example, shooting a wide perspective of a scene with wildflowers and a mountain in the distance would normally require a f/16 at least to get everything in focus. The problem arises if there is strong wind or low light and a faster shutter speed is needed to freeze the detail in the foreground wildflowers. It is then necessary to shoot at f/8 for the foreground and combine it with the rest of the images which can be shoot at f/16 to capture the background mountains. Before Exposure Fusion combining a series of images with different Depths Of Fields was limited to only those with the best of Photoshop skills.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back