A Photographer Always Needs to Learn More Things

Rivvil

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi, my real name is Jen but I often go by Rivvil on websites of any kind. I need to join this web side and forum because I want to improve my Photography. I'm a proud Photographer half the day and an appropriate book clerk the other half for a Collage Bookstore. Or try to be. Show me Tartuffe by Moliere and I'm off on a monologue that shouldn't be said in a respectable store. If I see Taming of the Shrew I'll be nagging about the story for the whole day. When I have to grab a law book... lets not talk about it. Those things are heavy. Honest, I do enjoy this job, but it is just that. A job, not a career like Photography. Only time I don't have a camera in my hands are when they are hugging the love of my life who has been dealing with my hooligans since we were in high school, poor guy.

Photography for me started in a predictable way, or at least I think so; I started with Macro and Nature Photography. Now I shoot Portraits, also shoot at Conventions and Comic cons, which I love. (Big time into comics, mostly The Boys, Conan, Preacher, Crow, and Wolverine) I often shoot Portfolios for Cosplayers while they are at the cons (Many of them live a ways away from the con). When I'm not doing Con work I'm doing product photography for catalogue or online usage. It is fortunate that I do get paid for my work now, but it is a greater luck and fortune that I'm able to meet new people on a regular basis and show them I know what I'm doing... most of the time. If a photo comes out looking pretty good but I have no idea how it came to be, I just play off I did it all on purpose. Pretty sure people haven't caught onto me yet. I am starting to itch for getting into Couple Photography and returning to Boudoir and Glamour shots. But before I get into them, I feel like I need to develop a stronger signature in my photography. A stronger style. Wondering about a Film Noir lighting kind of feel.

I refuse to go into long detail how 'I want to make the world a better place with my photo' poetry shenanigans. Or the classic 'I want to show beauty that people over look in raindrops' (Ok, ok, it was a phase. I admit I did that whole 'dream a dream' monologue with some raindrop photo back in the day). I take photos because I enjoy it, feels like it is something I understand without hesitation. It is just an added bonus people seem to enjoy the shots and can use it for Advertisement for themselves.

Lets see. Only other things would be I shoot with a Nikon D7000, top favorite lens is my Rokinon 85mm, close second being my Nikkor 35mm F1.8. Yes the primes are my go to, they make me take a step back and think before I shoot. I also have a Nikkor 50mm F1.8 and my Nikkor 40mm F2.8. I have quite a few Flashes, the mother of all is a Nikon Sb700. I love the portability of speed light photography. Love my Umbrellas too, silver inlining. I have a 35inch and a 48inch I think? I admit I've had to use them on a very bad rainy day. Still good though! I admit I have a six foot light tripod but I need to get a taller one maybe a nine or ten foot would do... Not kidding. Some of these people at cons have some seriously big costumes (Is this a bad time to mention I'm under 5'0?).) I am planning on a upgrade for my cam cam. Still keeping my D7000 but honestly I'm torn between a D750 and a D810.... Oh it hurts the wallet. Is it Tax season yet?

Well... that is it. I'm a straight forward photographer. Not afraid to give a thoughtful honest opinion on Photos done by others as well as my own, but I expect the same from everyone else. It is how we learn, and I can't wait to learn for the people here. Thank you for reading this! I hope you have a great day, or night. Or evening. Just have a great time all together, yes? Thank you again!

Welcome to the forum! Look forward to seeing your work!

Good luck with improving your photography, Jen. You certainly know how to express yourself. Hope you can get the new gear you need.
:)

Good luck with improving your photography, Jen. You certainly know how to express yourself. Hope you can get the new gear you need.
:)
Thank you so much! I can't wait to learn from you as well

Welcome to the site.

Most reactions

Back