A Pinhole Camera For Landscape And Portrait Photography?

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by Bluester, Apr 20, 2019.

1. Bluester

Bluester TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    This thread is never meant as an insult. I have come across information that the photo a simple pinhole camera takes will still be blurry about its edge. Is this true? If not, then the stationary pictures this camera takes would be better than those of a DSLR device. The resolution of a 35 mm. film is about 20 megapixels. Any informations and opinions that will be shared here is appreciated.

2. Ysarex

Ysarex Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Pinhole photos are always blurry throughout. Pinhole cameras have a practical handicap as the effective f/stop is generally in the range of f/200 to f/300 making handheld photography impractical. And where did you come up with your assertion that the resolution of 35mm film is about 20 megapixels? I would question that.

Joe

3. 480sparky

480sparky Chief Free Electron Relocator Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The edges, theoretically, should be sharper than the center. It will be darker, however. Both as a function of the geometry of the film plane / digital sensor.

4. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Top Poster Of Month

Photos OK to edit
    I have shot only two pinhole cameras, and that was YEARS ago. Approximately f/256 was the aperture value used with a hand-held light meter. Exposures were, as I recall, 2.5 to 3 minutes.

5. limr

limr Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Define 'better.' What are you after? Perfect sharpness and high resolution? Don't shoot 35mm pinhole. Do you want to experiement with a different sort of 'look' or perspective? Then give it a try.

Judge for yourself.

35mm

[​IMG]
    Waterfall
    by limrodrigues, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Old barn

120 (6x6 medium format)

[​IMG]
    rShoreline

Joe mentioned the fact that the camera will need to stay very very still since the exposures are generally at least a few seconds (full sunlight, depending on film speed or ISO) and if you're working indoors, then a few minutes up to a few hours.

This exposure was 7 hours long - the only lights being the Christmas lights on the tree.

[​IMG]
    Xmas Tree

The other thing that relates to this is if you were thinking of doing portraits (as you mention in your title), then your models will also have to sit very very still, unless you want some motion blur, which I think actually could make for a more interesting portrait. This exposure was, iirc, 2-3 seconds.

[​IMG]
    Wasting film

• Like Like x 2
  6. Bluester

Bluester TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    After? All. I was thinking that the pictures taken by a pinhole camera would be better since there are no elements to impede the travel of light to the film.

7. Bluester

Bluester TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The Internet. I don't remember the site but you could always look this topic up on the web.

8. limr

limr Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    But what do you mean by "better"? What are you valuing in the photograph? Sharpness and resolution? Or something else?

9. 480sparky

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Technically, that's true. Lacking glass, you don't have any issued glass causes (coma, astigmatism, flare, etc). But........ you have no way to focus the light.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Bluester

Bluester TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Like I previously said, all. Everything that a DSLR camera cannot deliver. I was also thinking that the background blur would go away since it has no lens. And you would see the picture the way your eyes would see them but there would be no problem with regard to sharpness, detail, and blurriness at the fringes because there is no lens.

11. 480sparky

Photos NOT OK to edit
    'Background blur' will be equal to the 'subject blur'. There is equal 'out-of-focus' across the entire depth of the scene.

12. Bluester

Bluester TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit

If you can see something, the pinhole camera can see that too. The pinhole camera should see the picture the way your eyes would.