A Poll on Zone Focusing

SimplyMo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Do you use Zone Focusing? How often?
Do you find it useful? What type of situations do you use it?

just curious ;)

Almost never, no. I either use tracking, point focusing (with the placeable cursor), or manual.

i mean.. zone focusing by only usingthe depth of field scale on your lens, to focus. instead of focusing with the camera to your eye.

Oh, DOF zones. I think I blew chunks on the reply anyway and was thinking of zone metering. :p I always consider DOF zones. Almost every shot. Is that more what you meant?

Tracking is where you place the focus point cursor on an area or item (like a shoe, an eyeball, or a bird) and then the camera tracks it - adjusting the focus and exposure as the item or area moves. Great for moving people, cars, wildlife and etc.

so tracking is an automatic feature? i've never used it before.
but i am fond of panning.. =)

i was reading about zone focusing, some pthographers use it to be more inconspicuous while they shoot. to focus the camera, just by the lens and its depth of field scale, without even viewing through the camera at the chosen scene. because people are more likely to notice you taking a picture if you're standing there for awhile--just focusing.

If you are a rangefinder shooter, yes... it is one of your most powerful and useful tools. In the hands of an experienced photographer, zone focusing is faster than AF. It takes a bit of practice... (i'm no expert) and loads of fun.

One example of use.... Shooting with something wide. I can set my 12mm heliar to f/8 and hyperfocal. Everything between about .35meters and infinity is in reasonable amount of focus. There is little point to even focus... just shoot at the hip and enjoy doing so. In fact, the 12mm Heliar can't be focused at all except by zone focusing or estimation (not rangefinder coupled). This is the same reason why a lot of street photographers will shoot with a focal length between 24mm and 35mm.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back