a pond on a mountain HUGE PICS sry

Wiggly

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
This is a pic of a pond on top of Green Mountain in Huntsville AL. I'll give the original and the edited. I wish I had a DSLR but I wont for at least 7 or 8 months. This is with a Canon SD870IS and edited with GIMP. I really don't know much about GIMP yet but I'm just learning right now and followed a tutorial to familiarize myself with the program and tools.

sry for the size of the pics, i dunno how to resize yet haha

1zdp5ao.jpg

jgiqhl.jpg

You really should figure out how to resize photos, it's usually pretty easy.

The photo looks good, but when shooting water, it really helps is the horizon is level...when it's crooked, it feels like the water should be pouring out the side. If you can't get it right when you are shooting, it shouldn't be too hard to rotate it with software.

i'm not really seeing where its crooked? i dont mean to sound like I "dislike" your constructive criticism, the opposite is true in fact. if you mean how the treeline on the right side comes up though that because the trees are actually coming towards the camera. is that what u meant?

in the pictures above, the water should be pouring out the left side of the picture. I think the small tilt to the picture is accented by the fact that there is no "border" of trees on the left hand side, so it emphasizes even more the fact that water should just flow out of the picture.

Did you do a ND filter in the sky? I think that it might be a little overdone, as the dark saturated blue fades a bit too quickly to the blue near the water. Unless this is how it looked, then you need to tell me where this place is so I can visit. Maybe even extending the deeper blue further down would look better- it does make the clouds pop out very nicely!

Nice scan also- when I was shooting film and scanning to digital, mine did not look that good- always picked up lots of noise.

i'm not really seeing where its crooked?
It's not actually as bad as it looks, I think the composition is adding to the effect. If you scroll the image up/down so that the water line on the right side is just about even with the edge of the window...it's just a little bit off but it 'feel' more than a little off to me. Try tilting it a bit back to the right and see if you like it better or not.

looks good i like it

if you use photobucket to upload your pics you can set it to the size you want to upload them in and it will do it automatically

in the pictures above, the water should be pouring out the left side of the picture. I think the small tilt to the picture is accented by the fact that there is no "border" of trees on the left hand side, so it emphasizes even more the fact that water should just flow out of the picture.

Did you do a ND filter in the sky? I think that it might be a little overdone, as the dark saturated blue fades a bit too quickly to the blue near the water. Unless this is how it looked, then you need to tell me where this place is so I can visit. Maybe even extending the deeper blue further down would look better- it does make the clouds pop out very nicely!

Nice scan also- when I was shooting film and scanning to digital, mine did not look that good- always picked up lots of noise.
not really sure what to say lol. I have no idea what an ND filter is, and the top one is exactly how it looked in real life. as for extending I kind of thought the same after i finished playing with it in GIMP.

also its not a scan... im not sure what makes it look like a scan but I'm going to assume its a bad thing :( haha.

It's not actually as bad as it looks, I think the composition is adding to the effect. If you scroll the image up/down so that the water line on the right side is just about even with the edge of the window...it's just a little bit off but it 'feel' more than a little off to me. Try tilting it a bit back to the right and see if you like it better or not.

I'll play with the rotation and see how she looks thanks :thumbup:

I'm getting it about 1.4 degrees out which might not seem like a lot but it really is. The reflections should be straight with what they're reflecting. I hope you don't mind, I took the liberty.

wigglyshot.jpg

I used the ruler tool in photoshop, I assume gimp has some sort of equivalent. If you take it between the corresponding points of the tree and it's reflection (marked above) it can be easily straightened.

Nice shot btw although you've lost some sky detail in the edit.

i think they look great

Download Microsoft Power Tool Picture Resizer.. It's free.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back