a portrait

do you feel better now?
Yes, as a matter of fact, I do feel better. Thank you.

I've been wanting to write something like that for a while, and now I have.
Well, tbf, you could choose someone else's thread for ranting

There was really no need for a rant. You're welcome to tell your opinion (whatever it might be) in my threads, but I don't welcome ranting in them.

And I don't think I "broke" any rules. I gave the certain tone to the image and some people don't like it, don't think it was successful or whatever, some people like it. That's all.

Last edited:
do you feel better now?
Yes, as a matter of fact, I do feel better. Thank you.

I've been wanting to write something like that for a while, and now I have.
Well, tbf, you could choose someone else's thread for ranting

There was really no need for a rant. You're welcome to tell your opinion (whatever it might be) in my threads, but I don't welcome ranting in them.
I had no idea you would be so touchy. I'll save that block of text for some other thread.

Umm, seems to be lacking of something... On the other way, I don't like Traveler adjustment either. Somewhere between the two but closer to the original version.

I tried to adjust the photo to be slightly brighter but no, I think you're right, it's killing the mood.

Last edited:
Umm, seems to be lacking of something... On the other way, I don't like Traveler adjustment either. Somewhere between the two but closer to the original version.

I tried to adjust the photo to be slightly brighter but no, I think you're right, it's killing the mood.
:) thanks

I like where you're going with the image. It has a delicate mood, so I can understand why you wouldn't want to do too much to change the shot. The lighting is really nice, I like the color palette, and I enjoy her expression. I understand you have an image in mind and you're happy with your outcome, but I do think it is missing something. To me the skin luminance seems just a tad bit dull, and as a result I think you loose some of the depth to the light, and some very subtle and quick adjustments would help showcase that beautiful lighting without changing the overall mood to the image.

I hope you don't mind, but I did a quick edit. A very subtle curves adjustment and some careful dodging just to bring some more depth to the shot. I used the dodge tool (set to the highlights range) to make some of the highlights a little brighter, but I also used it (set to the midtones range) to soften some of the gradients in the skin that were creating splotchy areas, particularly on her forehead. I know that it's her natural skin complexion, but in a still image I think those splotchy areas give the illusion of a dirty face. Dodging the skin on a 50% gray layer set to soft light mode is a really easy and effective way to fix splotchy areas and to refine and soften your lighting. You lit this really well to begin with, so editing it was really easy to do. I won't take it personally if you hate it though. ;)

160915_0527__1___custom__beforeafter_by_danostergren-d9ez1l8.jpg

Last edited:
I like where you're going with the image. It has a delicate mood, so I can understand why you wouldn't want to do too much to change the shot. The lighting is really nice, I like the color palette, and I enjoy her expression. I understand you have an image in mind and you're happy with your outcome, but I do think it is missing something. To me the skin luminance seems just a tad bit dull, and as a result I think you loose some of the depth to the light, and some very subtle and quick adjustments would help showcase that beautiful lighting without changing the overall mood to the image.

I hope you don't mind, but I did a quick edit. A very subtle curves adjustment and some careful dodging just to bring some more depth to the shot. I used the dodge tool (set to the highlights range) to make some of the highlights a little brighter, but I also used it (set to the midtones range) to soften some of the gradients in the skin that were creating splotchy areas, particularly on her forehead. I know that it's her natural skin complexion, but in a still image I think those splotchy areas give the illusion of a dirty face. Dodging the skin on a 50% gray layer set to soft light mode is a really easy and effective way to fix splotchy areas and to refine and soften your lighting. You lit this really well to begin with, so editing it was really easy to do. I won't take it personally if you hate it though. ;)

Oh where were you earlier!? :icon_hug:

It's the best version of the image and you're right. Thank you!

Also I wish I've seen this earlier to ask you for a print screen of your layers so I could try to replicate the edit.

I did frequency separation and highlight and contour on her face, but I wasn't entirely satisfied with her skin. You fixed it and it's time for me to do/try that "dodging on a grey layer" thing :)

You mentioned lighting, thank you... I shoot natural light

Oh where were you earlier!? :icon_hug:

It's the best version of the image and you're right. Thank you!

Also I wish I've seen this earlier to ask you for a print screen of your layers so I could try to replicate the edit.

I did frequency separation and highlight and contour on her face, but I wasn't entirely satisfied with her skin. You fixed it and it's time for me to do/try that "dodging on a grey layer" thing :)

You mentioned lighting, thank you... I shoot natural light
Unfortunately I didn't save the layers, otherwise I'd send you the TIFF file with layers if I had it. It was a really small adjustment with curves; I left the dark tones as is, and brought up the highlight curve just a little bit.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back