a problum with my external flash af assist beam!

Marzuk

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi! and thanks for entering..
I'm using nikon d7000 and a yongnuo 565ex external flash.

On the weekned I was shooting at a party that most of the time was completly dark,
I wanted to use my external flash assist beam to help me focus..

but for somereason it worked only on auto mode!! (Not on A,S or M)

the af-assist mode in the flash was ON
and in the camera's manu, I tried both ON and OFF on the autofocus assist illuminator..

Did any of you encounted some thing like that?
Did I do anything wrong?

Or is it just the external flash might be broken?...

THANK YOU!

AF assist lights will only work if the autofocusing mode is set to "one shot" mode. If you have continuous AF on then the AF assist light will not engage. This is likely why it only worked in auto mode as that mode likely over-rid your AF settings that were enabled for the other modes on the camera.

Hi! Thank you for the respond, but unfortunaly it didn't help.. the laser assist works only on the automatic modes.
Any other idea?

Check the cameras menu options; in many you can custom set it so that the AF beam is disabled or disabled under certain conditions. These custom settings wouldn't often apply to auto-modes so it might be that you've got it set like that. Check the manual for where to find the option in your menu list (or just go through it)

AF-S or AF-A.

I bet you have your camera set to AF-C or not on the center focus point.

I agree with Overread, are you sure you have the camera set to AF-S. On the D7000 the AF-A mode might go to AF-S, but it could be one of those issues with using a non-Nikon flash that it is going to AF-C and therefore not activating the focus assist beam of the flash unit. So just make sure it is forced to AF-S and not in AF-A and give it a try.

I just cant seem to find anything in the manual or the camera's manu that is connected to the assist beam...
I can't relly believe something's wrong with the flash because it works so good with the automatic modes.

*edit - i read your messages, i'll try again and post here some photos, maybe it'll help you help me :)

AF-S or AF-A.

I bet you have your camera set to AF-C or not on the center focus point.
what do you mean it is not set to the center focus point?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back