Birthday Present To Me

smoke665

TPF Supporters
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
They say you can't take it with you, and the older I get the more I seem to be spending it. :allteeth: Joking, sold some unused stuff to buy some new.

Struggled with outside/inside shots using a speedlight. Yes I can meter and shoot manual just fine but when you need to run and gun, setup isn't always possible. Plus I'm getting lazier in my old age. Pentax P-TTL is finicky, it just doesn't play well with others, and of the 3rd party ones out there, some work with one feature but not with another. Finally broke down and bought a new Pentax AF360FGZII, that will unleash all the little goodies previously hidden by the failure of the flash to communicate with the camera. As an added feature it comes with Pentax weather sealing.

The unit has a guide number of 118' at ISO 100 and 85mm along with a 35mm equivalent zoom range of 24-85mm, though the auto zoom function. The auto zoom feature is slick, because when you half press the shutter, it auto zooms to match the focal length of the lens. Comes with built in LED light with 5 output settings for use during video, or as an AF assist light, or modeling light. In addition to the P-TTL it has a multi-flash mode for stroboscopic photography as well as slow, high-speed, first and second curtain sync, and contrast control.

I may get so lazy I just let it do all the work, and I'll set back.........shame it doesn't come with a beer holder. LOL

Happy b-day. Enjoy.
I didn't know about it until I read this:
Pentax AF360FGZ II Flash Review - Test Photos | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Have to much work to get done today to really play with, but some preliminary testing on the K3II shows a lot of promise. Really need to read the manual that came with it, as I just keep finding neat stuff. Seems when bouncing the flash, you can also set the LED to fire to provide a catch light in the eyes. I may have to delay some of the work projects. :allteeth:

Always good to treat yourself. Life's too short not to.:)

Trying out the HSS with P-TTL. Outside in bright afternoon sun. Minimal processing in Lr. I could get spoiled.

First one shot at TAV, HSS, P-TTL, auto ISO which it picked ISO 100, camera manually set to f/5.6, 1/2000.
butterfly.jpg

Second one AV, HSS, P-TTL, auto ISO. Camera chose ISO 100, manual setting on aperture to f/5.6, camera chose shutter speed of 1/400, and adjusted flash accordingly.
butterfly-2.jpg

Happy Birthday! First I ever heard of auto zoom on a Speedlight, Looks like that new flash works well, nice shots.

It's always nice to have the good stuff, and not the low-cost generic stuff.Congrats!

It's always nice to have the good stuff, and not the low-cost generic stuff.Congrats!

Thanks man, I've really wanted one of these for awhile but couldn't justify the cost. Finally sold some excess stuff that made it possible. Was really amazed at how well laid out it is on the controls, and how easy it is to use. Once it's connected to the camera, they communicate back and forth. If I add EV at the flash it updates the camera, if I add it at camera it updates the flash. Half push the shutter it auto zooms to match the focal length. It's like adding changing the exposure triangle to a rectangle, by giving me one extra variable (light) in the mix.

Only 4 main buttons, and multi function rotating dial to worry about, and once you make the initial setting everything else takes place via camera.

I have been buying manufacturer-branded speedlights since the 1980''s...great results, great construction, fun. Nothing like" the real thing".

Sometimes price doesn't matter, especially when the maker-branded stuff is actually superior.

I have been buying manufacturer-branded speedlights since the 1980''s...great results, great construction, fun. Nothing like" the real thing".

Sometimes price doesn't matter, especially when the maker-branded stuff is actually superior.
"Sometimes price doesn't matter..." --
-- unless the desired item is priced at $500, and the budget doesn't have enough padding to even permit shaking out a loose $5. :blush:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back