A question for the teens out there

Get Straight A's and B's. If you parents send in your report card with straight A's and B's you get a lower rate..
A lower rate on what? Please say Canon lowers the price of the DSLRs by 75% for A students... Come on... :p

Not a teen, but I must say I am please to see hard working teens working for a goal. I see so much of mommy daddy give me this, makes me sick.

I've been working and budgeting since I was old enough to work. I still have to save to buy expensive things also. I'm working on saving up for a DSLR myself and I'm almost 40. I decided to start with a P&S first to learn before going all out.

I am not a teen, but the day I turned 13, I decided that I wanted a car.

For 3 years I did part time jobs for neighbors, but my real advantage was that I was also what is commonly known as a musical child prodigy (turned pro at 6), so I performed and gave 75% to my managers (parents... lol) and saved 25% into an account that they managed for me.

3 months away from my 16th b-day, my father and I walked into a Ford dealership and *I* signed the papers to a brand new Mustang Cobra that I paid for in cash that came all from my own work. I had no license, so I could not drive it (for 3 months), but it was 100% paid for and as a b-day gift to me, my parents paid my license plates and 1 year of insurance.

Point is, there are many ways for a young motivated enerpreneur to make money.

Another example? This 11 year old went to his dad to borrow $100. His dad was like "what??"... anyway, long story short, he put that $100 on a single domain name. That domain name was bought from that little kid for $250,000.00. Not bad for a 4 month and $100 investment. ;)

Now, unless the lawyer that completed the legal transactions on behalf of Pepsi Corp. lied to me, this is a true story.

As I said, there are many ways for a young person to work and save up money. I applaude all the younger ladies and men that can do this. Instills a nice sense of value to work ratio.

I don't think I want a car for a while, the cost seems ridiculous like Garbz mentioned. I'll probably just end up with a scooter or a motorcyle, it will probably save a lot of gas money.

Right now my dad buys most of the stuff for me, but I still have to give him whatever money I have everytime he gets me something, and I had to sacrifice a lot of stuff on christmas & my birthday also.

I really want to have a job, it would be cool to make my own money.

Prioritize. Right now I have the money to out and pay cash for a DSLR but I am taking a trip to Europe for enjoyment/a chance to see the world.

The only bad thing is I want a DSLR to take to Europe but at of right now, thats not gonna happen :(

I bought my own computer and accessories, my P&S camera, and as I said, I drop $275/month on horseback riding (a hobby more expensive than photography). I also buy all my riding equipment. Right now, I have enough to buy an SLR and lenses in my bank account, but I never want to go below the $2000 mark if I can help it! I like to keep it as a reserve - just in case. And unlike my sister, I am not in a hury to get my own car. It would be conveniant, but with gas prices, insurance and all the other money-grabbers, the negatives seem to outweigh the benefits.

Saving everything I earn from working part time as well as refing soccer is what keeps me safe.

I pay for my own car, car insurance, and gas--so I just save what I can and dream about the DSLR I want.

I had to get a car to get a job, and a job to pay for the car and insurance, and I had to get a job to pay for the insurance once I got my license...

Not a teen, but I must say I am please to see hard working teens working for a goal. I see so much of mommy daddy give me this, makes me sick.

I've been working and budgeting since I was old enough to work. I still have to save to buy expensive things also. I'm working on saving up for a DSLR myself and I'm almost 40. I decided to start with a P&S first to learn before going all out.

I hear ya Wolfden. Most of the teens I see around my parts are exactly the mommy daddy types. Dirtbike racing is HUGE around these areas, and the guys racing them get a new bike at LEAST every two years. Their parts and addons come from mom and dad, and the teens only have a small wage part time job. Plus most of those spoiled kids have vehicles WAY newer than mine. The one big thing my parents bought me, well not me it was for my brother, but I got it as a hand-me-down, was a Suzuki DS80. My brother rode the heck out of it, as long as he saved his allowance for gas, and then when I took over, I had to do the same. I think I got one dollar/week if I did my chores. Kids nowadays, ugh, mom and dad buy friggin RACE gas @ 10 bucks/gallon for the kids and their dirtbikes... makes me sick!
I had been saving my allowance and any other money I scrounged up and when I was about 9 years old, I had $75 saved up in a bank account for a nice Erector set I wanted. Well my parents went through tough times and my mom had to clean out my account just to buy groceries to feed our family with things like green bean casserole, spaghetti, the basic CHEAP meals you could make to feed a family. I didn't understand at the time, but hey, now that I am older, my childhood savings helped my family out when I was only 9 years old. I know it probably broke my mother's heart when she had to explain it to me, and when she had to take the money out, but the kids and the workin man had to eat. I don't bring it up with them about that, since I don't want to pain my parents, but maybe I will. Just to say that I am proud my little tiny bit of savings helped the family eat until the next payday.

you dont need to spend a lot! just save a bit. u ll get what u need then!

Enjoy all that disposable income now while you can. It's different when you hit your 30's, have kids, bills, house payment, medical bills, etc. I have far more money in my pocket for anything I wanted when I was 16 making <gasp> $3.35 an hour part time than I do now making FAR MORE than that.

He's right you know! :confused:

Keep track of what you spend in a month and you may get some surprises. I recently found I was spending around $400 per month on restaurant food, and $70 on coffee! That's $840 per year to Tim Horton's and $4,800 to various restaurants (and McD's I'm afraid to say)! SO LEARN TO COOK!!

Now I'm not gonna deprive myself, but by cutting that in half and putting the rest away gives me a nice lens fund...

i worked nearly full time when i was in high-school, my $ then went to biking but i was shooting w/ my 35mm rebel back then too. Had to save up the long way

Drug money :)

Im just playin. Im 19 i work full time until september.Im saving up for a car at the moment. But im definatley gonna grab my NikonD60 before i get the car... I know im gonna need to pay for insurance and crap.o

O and i dont pay rent or anything so basically my 900$ checks go to savings :D

So once i get the cam im thinking my outfit is gonna be sexy :greenpbl:

Most reactions

Back