A Really Neat Full Moon Shot

Scott Whaley

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I decided to go out and take some full moon shots tonight. I used my Canon R5 with my Sigma 150-600 Sports lens along with the 2X extension and had the camera cropped at 1.6. This is one of the shots I was able to get.

Full Moon JUne 2nd, 2023-1.jpg

Last edited:
Beautiful! Good texture showing, and it has a nice glow. Good job!

Nice shot.

Shooting the moon is often fraught with errors and while I appreciate the effort, you have three significant errors in this attempt. First, your focus is off enough so that all my post processing skills couldn't put it it right and your focus is off because likely you did not have a tripod sturdy enough to support that much lens which in turn shifted the focus a tad, but in the realm of 240,000 miles, a tad sends you into the sun and not on the moon's much cooler surface. Second, you underexposed by at least one and a half to two stops. Underexposing also affects dept of field, thus focus. Third, in post, you didn't remove the brown color cast. While the moon has many more colors than white, brown is not one of the more predominate colors.

So, at 1200mm you create your own set of issues. Optimally, with the Sigma 150-600 you would shoot fairly close to what I shot with my Nikon D500 (1/2 frame) and the Sigma 60-600 f/9, 1/250, ISO 320 -.33 EV mounted on an Artice Carbon Fiber Tripod/Benro head. I am not sure what you used for your exposure, but suspect a much lower shutter speed, a much higher ISO and a f/stop twice what it needed to be. Keep in mind, the moon moves and any exposure under 1/60 is going to create some blur, kind of like shooting a flower is a whisper breeze.

exif 1.jpg
exif 2.jpg

sigma-at-1275.jpg

Shooting the moon is often fraught with errors and while I appreciate the effort, you have three significant errors in this attempt. First, your focus is off enough so that all my post processing skills couldn't put it it right and your focus is off because likely you did not have a tripod sturdy enough to support that much lens which in turn shifted the focus a tad, but in the realm of 240,000 miles, a tad sends you into the sun and not on the moon's much cooler surface. Second, you underexposed by at least one and a half to two stops. Underexposing also affects dept of field, thus focus. Third, in post, you didn't remove the brown color cast. While the moon has many more colors than white, brown is not one of the more predominate colors.

So, at 1200mm you create your own set of issues. Optimally, with the Sigma 150-600 you would shoot fairly close to what I shot with my Nikon D500 (1/2 frame) and the Sigma 60-600 f/9, 1/250, ISO 320 -.33 EV mounted on an Artice Carbon Fiber Tripod/Benro head. I am not sure what you used for your exposure, but suspect a much lower shutter speed, a much higher ISO and a f/stop twice what it needed to be. Keep in mind, the moon moves and any exposure under 1/60 is going to create some blur, kind of like shooting a flower is a whisper breeze.

View attachment 266230View attachment 266231

View attachment 266232
If I wanted a critique, I would have asked for one.

If I wanted a critique, I would have asked for one.
If you didn't want critique you should have posted in the 'Just For Fun' section.

Forum rules, if you post anywhere else than 'Just For Fun' photos are open to critique.

I didn't see my response as negative, quite the contrary as I made my remarks to show you a way to get a better moon image. Anyway, posting in this category, you did ask for a critique.

1685911577452.png

I didn't see my response as negative, quite the contrary as I made my remarks to show you a way to get a better moon image. Anyway, posting in this category, you did ask for a critique.

View attachment 266266
I posted in the General Gallery and not the CC. My settings were 1/500, f13 due to the 2x extension, & 800 ISO. The thing which most likely caused the issue you mentioned was probably the manual focus.i could have also used the timer to keep the camera from shaking.

I posted in the General Gallery and not the CC.
Yes, Scott, but I just want you to be aware that the General Gallery does indicate that users will be open to critique.

As shown above:

"General Gallery​

Post thread
A gallery for sharing photos and getting feedback, including general critique."

Virtually every Gallery has similar verbiage about C&C. You're correct that the C&C Gallery asks you to provide details on your shot, and you expect in-depth C&C from anyone who replies. But nothing exempts offering it in this Gallery.

Hope this helps. :)

Most reactions

Back