A simple question about print size

robinkay6573

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can someone please explain to me why I need to edit my digital prints so when a 4x6 print is made the top/bottom/side isn't cut off?

One photo processor told me that it is because my camera takes all photos like they are 5x7 and unless I print every one of my photos as a 5x7 the print is going to be cut off. Sounds to me like an easy way for photo processors to make money! *LOL*

TIA

Robin

Standard photo sizes (4x6, 5x7, 8x10 etc) are not the same ratio. Image files from different cameras are not uniform either. If your camera gives you files that have a ratio of 5 to 7...then if you want to print a 4x6 or an 8x10...then you will need to crop.

The smart thing to do, would be to crop the images yourself...before sending/taking them to get printed.

To segue from Big Mike.
Use your crop or marquee tool to a fixed ratio for each sized print, a few ones.......

6÷4=1.5 aspect ratio

7÷5=1.4

10÷8=1.25

you should have it by now.

I had to learn the hard way about ratios when I got my first digital camera. I wondered why Walmart was cropping stuff off my pictures. Then I found out that my camera took photos that came out to 4.5 x 6 inches. What a pain that was to crop each of my pictures to keep the Walmart computer from doing it for me. Now I always crop my own pictures to the proper ratio to keep them from mucking them up. I'm good enough at that without their help :)

Most reactions

Back