A System Camera for a beginner?

justicey

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey,

I kind of want to get into the whole photography thing as a hobby, and I was thinking about which camera to buy. I thought that a big dslr camera might just be a little bit overkill for me. I won't be shooting in a well lighted studio, I intend to shoot things in the street(architecture and what not), the nature (mountains, woods, beaches, whatever) or just people.

So I thought why not buy one of these little system cameras (I hope that's the right word), like the Sony NEX-7.

So here's my question, would a system camera actually be good for a beginner, or should I buy something else? What are the Pros/Cons of these cameras, and if I actually should buy a system camera, which one would be the best?

oh you mean those mirrorless cameras with interchangable lens? I actually have one myself. It's a Nikon 1 V1. and a little adaptor so I can use my Nikon DSLR lenses with it :D

Although I use it when I go to parties and stuff for portability, I don't recommend it for people who want to 'learn'. For me, it's more of a backup camera for when things go wrong or when it isnt worth bringing your big dslr. Also, lenses for it is very limited (that is, lenses made for the Nikon 1 cameras).

If you have the budget, i think you're better off buying a DSLR, even an entry level one would do. But if you have the funds to buy the Sony NEX-7, then I suggest you get a good DSLR with a built-in focus motor so you can use older lenses. I'm not so sure about other brands like canon or sony, but one example of this would be the Nikon D7000.

The pro of having a DSLR is that you can use a lot of different lenses for it unlike those relatively new mirrorless cameras. You can also get more accessories from it like battery grips (so your battery doesnt run out in the woods) and flashes (if light becomes a problem)... and you DO NOT need to be in a well lighted studio to take pictures.

The L120 is absolutely nothing like shooting with a DSLR and I promise that although you may have learned some composition and what not to do when the camera gets to think for you, it has taught you absolutely zero about photography exposure and composing the image using the creative aspect of exposure. It's a point and shoot with no manual controls what-so-ever. It's made to look like a bridge camera and be pretty idiot proof in terms of setting exposure.

Why do you feel a DSLR won't be useful unless in a well lit studio? If you want the capability to shoot in low light UN-LIT situations the smaller sensors are actually a problem causing more noise because they are so small.
The system cameras are going to wind you up with as much or more invested than you would have in a DSLR with some pitfalls. The size of the body is a convenience, but the size of the sensor will throw up some problems. You will still need the lenses as you would with a DSLR, you will still need an external flash...

Is it size that matters?

Right HERE is THE page of links that you need to look into regarding the Sony NEX 7, from a user with vast experience with many cameras, and with the NEX 7 itself. You need to hear from an actual user and owner of the camera to make the best decision.

Sony NEX-7 Rolling Review

The L120 is absolutely nothing like shooting with a DSLR and I promise that although you may have learned some composition and what not to do when the camera gets to think for you, it has taught you absolutely zero about photography exposure and composing the image using the creative aspect of exposure. It's a point and shoot with no manual controls what-so-ever. It's made to look like a bridge camera and be pretty idiot proof in terms of setting exposure.

Why do you feel a DSLR won't be useful unless in a well lit studio? If you want the capability to shoot in low light UN-LIT situations the smaller sensors are actually a problem causing more noise because they are so small.
The system cameras are going to wind you up with as much or more invested than you would have in a DSLR with some pitfalls. The size of the body is a convenience, but the size of the sensor will throw up some problems. You will still need the lenses as you would with a DSLR, you will still need an external flash...

Is it size that matters?

I didn't mean to say that DSLR cameras are only useful in a well lit studio, hell I don't know anything about that. What I was trying to say is that I thought, a DSLR might be a little overkill, because I will never shoot in perfect conditions anyway, and because of that I thought the picture quality difference between a DSLR and a system camera would be almost 0.

It's not really size that matters to me, I mean I don't care about carrying a big device around with me.

And I thought the NEX-7 had a rather large sensor, but again, I know almost nothing about photography. Which camera would you recommend instead, if I might ask?

Right HERE is THE page of links that you need to look into regarding the Sony NEX 7, from a user with vast experience with many cameras, and with the NEX 7 itself. You need to hear from an actual user and owner of the camera to make the best decision.

Sony NEX-7 Rolling Review

Thanks, I'll definitely read that

Try the olympus or panasonic range of system cameras. They come with a good range of lenses and similar controls to a DSLR in a much smaller package. Forget the... get a dslr to be a real photographer, choose what you feel most comfortable with. Learn what makes a real photographer, like composition, lighting etc. leave the tech to those who have money burning a hole in their pockets and too much time on their hands.

Pick up a nice bridge/superzoom camera like the Fujifilm HS 30 EXR.

Enough features, both manual and auto, to keep you occupied for the next 5 years.

And for the next month, through January, they're only $249.00 at your local Costco.

Do NOT let the price fool you though-this is one solidly equipped rig.

Most reactions

Back