A tripod question...which one?

goneriding24

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
A family friend told me to buy a tripod for my Fuji Fine Pix. He didn't specify one though.

So, my question is...all all tripods the same except for price? Or heights they may reach??

Since I'm a total noob, maybe a more inexpensive brand although I am sticking with photography for the rest of my life and maybe should get a better quality one.

Or what?? :confused:

They also differ by features and capabilities, materials made from, maximum weight capacity, overall weight, number of leg sections, diameter of leg sections, etc.

And that's just the legs. Then you have to decide if you want/need a ballhead, a 3-way pan/tilt head, or a head that has focusing rails.

Visit www.giottos.com and look at some of the pictures of what a tripod can do.

2 leg sections is more stable than 3 leg sections, which is more stable than 4 leg sections.

Larger diameter legs are more stable (and can handle more weight) than smaller diameter leg sections.

The most important attribute for a tripod to have is stability.

The rocketfish carbon tripod is pretty stable and don't cost that much. I bought one and like it very well just could not see paying 4 or 5 hundred on a tripod and I don't use it that often.

I think what the OP is looking for is something reasonably priced for occasional use. Why not get a cheap Sunpak ~$30. I've used it for a couple years and works fine for the relatively few times that I use it with long exposure snapshots.

Yes, I'd guess that they are looking for something cheaper (although, if you buy a good (expensive) one, it can last you a lifetime)

I'm guessing your Fuji Finepix is a point & shoot style camera (no a DSLR). Most tripods will have no problem holding that weight...the bigger tripods are more at home when you're using a big camera with bigger lenses etc.

Tripod sockets and thus the mounting is pretty universal, so any tripod you find will probably work. As mentioned, it's more about the features, weight, materials, sturdiness etc. The better, more expensive ones, usually come as separate heads and legs, but cheaper ones have a built-in head.

One feature that I'd strongly recommend is a quick release plate.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back