A true beginner and in need of help

cr4zygui

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey guys,

You can say I'm fairly new to this world of photography. I had a canon t4i and another older Canon that I cannot recall the model of it. I have done some editing but it is not my piece of pie. I have always loved taking pictures of things everywhere I go, but as of right now I only have my phone to do so. I would like to do something with my life with the time I have spare after work and on the weekends. I have never used a Nikon camera before but have used plenty of Canon and some Sony. I love the feel of a canon the way it shoots and feel in my hands when in use. I have been to the stores and got some feeling on the Nikon d600 and the Nikon D7100. Even though I've really never shot with it I also like the feel of it. I do not know how it feels when I shoot with it out in the open. I might not make much sense to a lot of you pros but I am looking for a camera that I can keep and use for video/still for a good amount of time maybe 5 years atleast. I've seen images that comes from a full frame and a crop camera and love the full frame more. I've read and reseached lots of cameras from a Nikon d7100 d800 Canon 6d 5d markIII and even the 70d. I was looking maybe going into my own little side money business when I get a little better with my shots and editing skills. Please help guide me to the right direction even though I know that really it's not close to be possible. A beginner camera(as people say) should be a crop camera and not full frame since its cheaper and easier to use. I am a pretty quick learner and really dont want to put $1500 into a camera and end up growing out of it really quick. I would love a camera that also does good video as well since I might want to do some video clips as well. I know full frame can get really expensive so if you guys that can help me break everything down and let me know what I should start with and what equipment to get me started with. Thank You for reading everything this noob has to say about himself

Nang

Thanks in advance

P.S. I didnt add a sig cause I don't have a camera yet lol

What is your budget?

You will get opinions all over the place. To me a crop sensor body with a good lens will fulfill all your needs unless you decide to go professional later on or you just have a lot of money and want to have the best equipment whether you need it or not.
For example a Nikon D5300 (or D7000) is 24 megapixel and shoots stills or video in HD. With an 18 to 140 zoom you have a great range. Also, you can add lenses later to do just about anything from macro to extreme telephoto. Best of all you can start out with the camera, lens, tripod, strobe and still be well under $2000.

Maybe used would be worth considering to get the kind of camera you want. Then later on you could always upgrade to something new. I've bought quite a lot from http://www.keh.com and have found them to be reputable (and even their bargain condition isn't bad).

What is your budget?

What is my budget? I really try to keep it under $2500 for right now. I wonder what would be a good start off glass other than the 18-55mm I really don't like much of that comes with most kits.

@dennybeall

I agree with you about me getting lots of opinions all over the board but really I was trying to get some pros personal preference. About the crop sensor camera I think it sounds really good as well but I been thinking about it a lot. I was consider maybe going professional one day but I don't think according to lots of people telling me I shouldn't jump the gun and get a 3-5k camera. I've heard lots of goods about the d7000/d7100 camera. Some will say if you shoot canon stick with it and so on and so forth. I was really considering a Nikon D7100 or the Canon 70D to be honest if I was to pick a crop sensor camera. Lets hear some thoughts on this

@vintagesnaps

I was actually looking at the sight just a few days ago after I saw a bulletin board posted on the highway. I couldn't find the models I was considering that is why I'm on the forums looking for some advise on what I should do for the next step. I really am not in a big rush in getting the camera so all comments and advises are welcome.

Thanks
Nang

One thing to consider is the fact that used gear tends to hold its value very well. There's a certain point where the equipment stops depreciating as long as you keep it in good working order.

I would suggest looking into used lens and crop sensor bodies at this point for your particular situation. The 7d, 70d and some decent glass will get you where you want to go. Once you grow out of that body you should know well enough what features your current kit is lacking and it'll be much more clear to you where you need to invest your money once you sell the gear.

Why do you feel you need a new camera? What about your T4i is not giving you the pictures you want?

I think a good, clean used d-slr body is a GREAT way to get "more camera" for your dollar than buying a brand new body. Five years is a long time in the digital world. But the newer, better cameras available today are good enough to last a longer amount of time than were older cameras, released when digital technology was RAPIDLY getting better with each passing year. Making money with a camera is not really all that easy, but it sure sounds good, doesn't it? The T4i has a rather small viewfinder, which I think is a drawback. Video? People tout the Canon 70D's AF during shooting, but autofocus hunting while shooting looks awful, so, for the most part, focusing during filming is not desirable unless the subject is moving actively toward or away from the camera. I think for video, you want to look at the input/output jacks the camera offers, more so than focus options; Panasonic makes better VIDEO-capable still cameras cameras than Canon or Nikon, but they are not cheap cameras. But Panasonic really seems to be the darling of those who shoot a lot of video, and who like the m4/3 format for its features and lenses and small size.

The full-frame cameras DO have bigger viewfinders, and are in some ways, easier to use with the lenses that are actually available; a 50 is a 50 (aka a normal) on FF; a 70-200 is easy to use indoors, whereas on a 1.6x Canon crop body, indoors the 70-200 is very "tight". Honestly, I would suggest working more on SKILL and knowledge development and education than on worrying about buying a new camera; I think spending more effort on learning techniques, and principles, and editing and such, would be the best way to boost your game--not a new camera!

Speed of leaning has nothing to do with the camera you use. I have friends who shoot semiprofessionally with a crop frame 7D and I've seen the local MWAC clubs decked out with 5D mk3.
You can learn all the rules here and still put out boring images that nobody wants.
Better to have a feel and sense of how to take great photos with minimal gear.

I don't see why one would list out one's gear in the signature.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Most reactions

Back