A very specific tripod question! (not an annoying tripod thread... promise)

analog.universe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've done a lot of research, and I've narrowed my leg decision to 2 models. The Gitzo 2531, and the 2531ex. I really like the extra flexibility provided by the ex, and it appears that unless the engineers are miracle workers, there would be some stability trade-off for that flexibility. So my question is, how much do you trade? Has anyone here had a chance to compare the stability of the explorer and mountaineer models? Has anyone used an explorer and been satisfied/dissatisfied with the stability it provides? Are Gitzo engineers actually miracle workers (in which case I should just get the explorer)?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks! :thumbup:

This depends alot on what equipment and conditions you would be using the legs in. Under most conditions there will probably be no noticable difference. If you are using a very heavy telephoto and are pushing near the limit then you would probably better benefit from stability as paramount. Shooting from a vibrating overpass or bleachers, as examples and without monster lenses then you might pick up an advantage from the EX on bracket shots.

Gitzo do make excellent tripods. We have one in our garage that i purchased in the mid 1960s. I still use it sometimes for landscape work although it is quite hefty being constructed entirely of aluminium and steel.

This depends alot on what equipment and conditions you would be using the legs in. Under most conditions there will probably be no noticable difference. If you are using a very heavy telephoto and are pushing near the limit then you would probably better benefit from stability as paramount. Shooting from a vibrating overpass or bleachers, as examples and without monster lenses then you might pick up an advantage from the EX on bracket shots.

The more I hear the more I'm leaning to the EX. I'm going to be doing a lot of food photography with it, and also a lot of hiking in unpredictable terrain, so the positioning options look really nice. And, I don't have any heavy telephotos, but who knows what the future will bring? A tripod like this you keep a while : ) I'm also looking around however and I see I can get a mountaineer in 3 series, but the explorer is only available as a 2 series..., which tips the scales again. Very difficult decision! Would love to hear from an explorer owner.

Nice bump on a wednesday morning :)

happy wednesday gitzo owners! i know you're here somewhere :lmao:

I have a 2530 lvl Gitzo which I am very pleased with.but I do not know anything about the two models you quote so cannot really help. What I can say is the build quality is outstanding and much better than the Velbon CF tripod I previously owned.

One last bump!

..ordering the explorer in the morning if no one talks me out of it :cool:

So my 2531ex arrived today, and I'll be sending it straight back tomorrow. It is NOT sturdy. The legs themselves are great, but where the articulating center column attaches there is obvious weakness. Going to just get a 3 series mountaineer instead...

So my 2531ex arrived today, and I'll be sending it straight back tomorrow. It is NOT sturdy. The legs themselves are great, but where the articulating center column attaches there is obvious weakness. Going to just get a 3 series mountaineer instead...

When you get your Mountaineer consider taking the center column out and only using that in 'emergencies'. Otherwise it is like having a monopod on top of a tripod. IMHO

I am not familiar with these tripods, but I've very interested to know what company makes the best or close to the best sturdiest tripod. My Velbon Sherpa is nice but I find that it vibrates a little.

When you get your Mountaineer consider taking the center column out and only using that in 'emergencies'. Otherwise it is like having a monopod on top of a tripod. IMHO

Agreed. The center column is the weak link in those tripods. Like others here, I do not know those models but I have an old Gitzo (somewhere) that was absolutely great. Except for the center column.

I am not familiar with these tripods, but I've very interested to know what company makes the best or close to the best sturdiest tripod. My Velbon Sherpa is nice but I find that it vibrates a little.

For what kind of work? In the studio I use a camera stand instead of a tripod. Much sturdier.

Agreed. The center column is the weak link in those tripods. Like others here, I do not know those models but I have an old Gitzo (somewhere) that was absolutely great. Except for the center column.

For what kind of work? In the studio I use a camera stand instead of a tripod. Much sturdier.

I'd have to agree, either a Foba or Cambo studio stand will make you forget about tripods in a studio/product environment.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back