a zillion stars over Nauset lighthouse

Feedback: stop making me so envious. I love astronomy, read a few college Astronomy and Cosmology textbooks just for fun. Oh, well, I'll have to live vicariously.

I would love to know more about how you shot this, please. It seems with the very bright light from the light house that the background stars would be washed out due to the light pollution. A really magnificent image though and so great that you shared it.

Thanks for the nice feedback! Other than the lighthouse it is an extremely dark area which really helped. The number of stars was just incredible. Spent half my time out there just staring at the sky, lol. I shot this with my Fuji XT2 and Samyang 12mm. Settings were 3200 ISO, f/2 for 17 seconds. I covered the lens with my sleeve when the light swung towards me. It took a few tries to get it where it wasn't blown out and the light beams were still visible. I think the upward angle helped capture the stars that weren't as washed out by the light.

This is a single shot, not a composite, but I did use the brush in LR to selectively bring the exposure down on just the lantern. I also selectively adjusted the clarity and texture in the sky all the way to +100 and used the brush to brighten the exposure on the lighthouse itself. The whole photo was adjusted blacks -40, highlights +20 and then I used a bit of noise reduction.

I'm very happy with the way these came out. After the first few attempts I was ready to pack it in then I remembered reading a post on Instagram of another lighthouse where the photographer mentioned covering the lens with a black card when the light swung around. I didn't have a card so I used dark sleeve of my hoodie.

Ahhhh! What a clever idea! I knew there had to be something to this and blocking the lens is something I'd have never in a million years considered. Great tip and thanks so much for the explanation!

Beautiful !!!

Thank you very much!

Amazing images Sharon! I love #1. The perspective and the lighting just scream "Here is the sky, just look at it.". And I think the colors in the second are perfect. Great job.

Thanks! I appreciate the detailed feedback.

Excellent shots from very unique angles! I really enjoy number one simply because it's an angle I've never seen before of a lighthouse.

I'd be really curious to see how these angles looked with star trails as well, but that's just personal preference. Nice work!

Thanks! My mom thought it was a spaceship lol. I said yes that’s right I went up into space and just got back!

We thought about star trails - my friend that I was shooting with has some great star trail shots but... it was our second stop so it was late and we were parked illegally in the closed beach lot. there were kids noisily partying in the back of the lot so we were worried that the police would arrive any minute and we’d get towed. I could have shot there all night if we had been able to find good parking.

Feedback: stop making me so envious. I love astronomy, read a few college Astronomy and Cosmology textbooks just for fun. Oh, well, I'll have to live vicariously.

If you’re ever going to be on the Cape or in NH let me know - you can join our astro posse lol. Can’t go to Maine right now due to their quarantine rules.

I would love to know more about how you shot this, please. It seems with the very bright light from the light house that the background stars would be washed out due to the light pollution. A really magnificent image though and so great that you shared it.

Thanks for the nice feedback! Other than the lighthouse it is an extremely dark area which really helped. The number of stars was just incredible. Spent half my time out there just staring at the sky, lol. I shot this with my Fuji XT2 and Samyang 12mm. Settings were 3200 ISO, f/2 for 17 seconds. I covered the lens with my sleeve when the light swung towards me. It took a few tries to get it where it wasn't blown out and the light beams were still visible. I think the upward angle helped capture the stars that weren't as washed out by the light.

This is a single shot, not a composite, but I did use the brush in LR to selectively bring the exposure down on just the lantern. I also selectively adjusted the clarity and texture in the sky all the way to +100 and used the brush to brighten the exposure on the lighthouse itself. The whole photo was adjusted blacks -40, highlights +20 and then I used a bit of noise reduction.

I'm very happy with the way these came out. After the first few attempts I was ready to pack it in then I remembered reading a post on Instagram of another lighthouse where the photographer mentioned covering the lens with a black card when the light swung around. I didn't have a card so I used dark sleeve of my hoodie.

Ahhhh! What a clever idea! I knew there had to be something to this and blocking the lens is something I'd have never in a million years considered. Great tip and thanks so much for the explanation!

I don’t know if I would have thought of it either if I hadn’t read it at some point in the past! I’ll be taking a black towel with me from now on to block my lens if needed.

Oh hell, those are nothing short of amazing. I think you've outdone yourself this time.

You'll never take better so you might as well retire from photography. :allteeth:

Great shots Squarepeg! You've done a fantastic job with the exposure in these and those stars are indeed plentyful!

Thank you very much!

Oh hell, those are nothing short of amazing. I think you've outdone yourself this time.

You'll never take better so you might as well retire from photography. :allteeth:

You’re right I’m done.

Well done!

I always like lighthouse photos. I joke that there are no bad lighthouse photos, only good and better. I think yours have exceeded better a healthy margin.

Thanks for sharing.

A. C.

I always like lighthouse photos. I joke that there are no bad lighthouse photos, only good and better. I think yours have exceeded better a healthy margin.

Thanks for sharing.

A. C.

I like that expression! If you like lighthouse photos, check out the Friends of New England Lighthouses: A Virtual Guide. It’s not a book, it’s a Facebook group where everyone shares lighthouse photos. Not just New England. I believe on Friday it can be a lighthouse from anywhere.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back