Abandoned Room

While I think the concept is great, there are a couple of things about the execution that hurt it for me.

The OOF wall in the foreground takes up so much space and is so light that it constantly pulls my eye from the center of the room.
The doorway that I know is probably vertical is slightly off vertical and there doesn't seem to be an artistic reason for it.

I would rather have seen more of the right side and less of the blank wall that doesn't add anything.
I would show you a slightly different treatment of this image but your posts are marked NO EDIT.

Traveler said it all....=)
This look like a great location!!
Keep shooting!!

OP,
you have to understand that viewers come to the picture not knowing what you want them to look at and when you show them a bright wall and a light switch and a thermostat, they figure that you showed it to them and you made the wall bright so that must be important - even if its OOF.

You need to emphasize the points you want made and de-emphasize those you want ignored.
This would be much easier if you would allow editing.

L

Thanks for the suggestions! I see a bit of story to it which is why I like it and I didn't take a lot of time to plan this shot because me and a friend were just wandering quickly through this building for the first time. At least with the doorway, normally I would have tried to get that to be straight. I just had a feeling about this scene when I took this, and that's what I remember when I see it.

I'll keep all of your suggestions in mind though when I'm planning a shot in the future though. I don't allow editing of my photos because even I don't edit them. Everything I shoot is with film, and my goal is to learn from the photos I take and let them live as they are. I don't plan on getting famous from anything I do because I'm not that good, so it won't matter if a mistake stays a mistake. That's how life works anyway. Thanks again.

I don't allow editing of my photos because even I don't edit them. Everything I shoot is with film, and my goal is to learn from the photos I take and let them live as they are.

Unless you plan to shoot only Polaroid-type or slide film, someone is editing them.
But they are yours.

My opinion is that they will always be less than they could have been.
Nature doesn't care how your pictures look.

Lew

They're probably doomed to stay less than they could have been, because I don't know how to edit them anyway. I'll just live with the little bit of editing that's been done to them.

I do shoot a good deal of Polaroids though lol.

Last edited:
I like it. The oof wall isn't blank, so theres interest in that part of the image, but you clearly wanted us to look into the room and I find it intriguing. Only main CC is that black thing in the bottom corner needs to not be there :)

Yea, that's the one thing that irks me as well. That black thing is the girl I was wandering around with. I just happened to catch her shoulder. Glad you like it!

There probably doomed to stay less than they could have been, because I don't know how to edit them anyway. I'll just live with the little bit of editing that's been done to them.

I do shoot a good deal of Polaroids though lol.

You can learn.. and it would be worthwhile! You can learn a lot about shooting, and how to shoot.. just by learning to edit, and correct the stuff you shot...

That is completely reasonable. But here's the problem: I'm horrible with modern technology. I have 35 cameras, and only one of them is digital. It sits in a box. I use film because I like the feel of it and the mistakes that can happen like light leaks, but I also use it because digital cameras and programs like Photoshop are complicated and expensive.

That is completely reasonable. But here's the problem: I'm horrible with modern technology. I have 35 cameras, and only one of them is digital. It sits in a box. I use film because I like the feel of it and the mistakes that can happen like light leaks, but I also use it because digital cameras and programs like Photoshop are complicated and expensive.

You could try a film scanner, as well as an program like Photoshop Elements (9?). Nothing wrong with organic film, but it really needs the final stage to push it from good to awesome.

Do you have any other similar ones of this?

I have a scanner that can scan film, but Photoshop Elements 9 cost about $50 I don't have. I have Gimp on my computer, but that's a pain. I didn't really take any other photos that day that are like this one. I usually don't photography anything other than people. Here's one of the other shots that I like from that day though:

10450011 by blackscott2011, on Flickr

Most reactions

Back