d800

Reaction score
Don;t know what I'm doing to make this so difficult but it's throwing me. I want set up my D800 up fully manual; effectively make it as close to a F1 as possible. I have some things I want to play around with I have not tried since I abandoned my FE2 some years ago. I'm kinda bad about putting things in automatic, getting lazy, then forgetting how they are supposed to actually work.

Did you just set it to M and set the autofocus to Manual also? Or is it more the settings in the menus you’re referring to?

Hold down the mode button, which is between the on/off lever and the control panel (small lcd screen on the top right of the camera). Rotate the main command dial, which is by your thumb when holding the camera, to switch between P, M, A and S modes.

You'll also want to play with the AF mode (button under the lens release button) to switch between AF-C and AF-S mode using the main command dial and to pick the metering mode using the sub command dial, the one by your index finger under the on / off switch.

It's the first FF camera I bought. Even though I've got some newer bodies, I still like and use my D800. It has the first generation of modern sensors. All sensors since then have been an evolution on the D800 sensor.

Don;t know what I'm doing to make this so difficult but it's throwing me. I want set up my D800 up fully manual; effectively make it as close to a F1 as possible. I have some things I want to play around with I have not tried since I abandoned my FE2 some years ago. I'm kinda bad about putting things in automatic, getting lazy, then forgetting how they are supposed to actually work.
As D7K says, set exposure and focus modes to M. And steer clear of funky "G" lenses. I'm not familiar with Canon, so cannot comment on the F1

F1 was a manual Nikon back in the 60s, I was attempting to make a bad joke. :smug:

Actually, I didn't realize I had hit "send" on this. Last evening I sat down and read back though the Nikon manual with camera in hand and figured out [most of] what I was missing (I think). It was the "bulb" setting under M that I was not finding; know where it is now. thanks

F1 was a manual Nikon back in the 60s, I was attempting to make a bad joke. :smug:
The first Nikon reflex was the F, March 1959, replaced by the F2 in September, 1971. They never made an F1.

You can always throw a manual SLR lens on it too. You may not have in-camera metering but who cares when you have a histogram.
You might need to use your imagination a bit if you want to do the Nikon shuffle though........

The first Nikon reflex was the F, March 1959, replaced by the F2 in September, 1971. They never made an F1.
I had to Google it, I knew prior to the present electronic cameras Nikon had the F series. I thought I found some googled references to a Nikon F1 as the first F series but any way, thanks for the clarification.

I had to Google it, I knew prior to the present electronic cameras Nikon had the F series. I thought I found some googled references to a Nikon F1 as the first F series but any way, thanks for the clarification.
👍 I thinks its good to be accurate so everyone's on the same page. My F from 1970 still gets 15-20 rolls a year run through it

Most reactions

New Topics

Back