What's new

Abandoned Silo

Rick58

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Joined
Jun 23, 2012
Messages
4,227
Reaction score
1,473
Location
Reading, Pa
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I went for an photo outing today, but came home empty. It must have been the camera's fault because I KNOW it couldn't be me :roll:

So, I came home and dragged out a photo that's been asking to be processed for a couple months now. Just a snapshot? I don't think so, but your thoughts are welcome.

This was taken with the 35mm Brent will generous enough to give me.

1/250 @ f16
35mm prime

View attachment 38331
 
Flip it horizontally. You'll get over the initial shock in a few minutes. No one will know you did it since there's no text anywhere. Better to close the right side with the dark shadowed fence and weigh the silo right.

Joe
 
Two things strike me: one, it looks as if the focus doesn't get sharp until the backside of the silo and two, boy, someone needs to have their sensor cleaned...looks like a dust bunny convention.
 
Wow, this thread has been an interesting lesson. When I saw the original, I was going to say that if it were me, I would crop out the left-most fence post that's in the shadows, because it was bugging me for some reason. But in the flipped version, it doesn't bother me at all. Very interesting.

Come to think of it, when I'm working with inanimate objects such as this, I find I often have an urge to push the subject to the right side of the frame. I don't know why that is, I just do it. Maybe that's why, to my eye, the flipped version looks better.
 
I believe the right/left thing is because most of us are right handed. A basic fear, we prefer things closer on our strong side and further away from our weak side.
 
How do you flip things like that.
 
How do you flip things like that.

It's very easy. Under image, there's flip horizonally or vertically. At least in Paintshop. I can't speak for other, inferior, software like Photoshop ;)
 
Last edited:
I believe the right/left thing is because most of us are right handed. A basic fear, we prefer things closer on our strong side and further away from our weak side.

Maybe you have a point. I personally don't see the improvement, where others do, but I'm left handed. Interesting
 
Oh man, why did you delete your comment/question. THAT is one of the very great questions of the growing photographer, and it's a VERY good thing to discuss. And oddly, it's something I DON'T see come up that often here on TPF.

Totally agree that the flip works better, and NICE CATCH Ysarex.

Rick, this is a pretty nice shot from a "not quite just an inventory shot". There's a lot going on. You have the lines from the fence that lead into the silo which leads your eye up and out. There are lots of textures and interesting things going on. The cloud line is interesting. While I know you still shoot for those inventory shots, I think your eye may be evolving... you may just not realize it. :)

By the way... I think you have some dust on your sensor. You should get that cleaned up, and be careful when switching lenses. Always do it in a non-windy area (as closed up as possible), keep the camera pointed down and try to keep the time where lenses and bodies are not capped and not connected to a minimum.
 
I like the man-made subject of this composition. I think the strength of this photo is the decaying silo shell and how the light falls across its visible skeleton, much like old photos of rigid airships and the hulls of ships and the like.

I have ask Rick, where is this located?
 
Oh man, why did you delete your comment/question. THAT is one of the very great questions of the growing photographer, and it's a VERY good thing to discuss. And oddly, it's something I DON'T see come up that often here on TPF.

Totally agree that the flip works better, and NICE CATCH Ysarex.

Rick, this is a pretty nice shot from a "not quite just an inventory shot". There's a lot going on. You have the lines from the fence that lead into the silo which leads your eye up and out. There are lots of textures and interesting things going on. The cloud line is interesting. While I know you still shoot for those inventory shots, I think your eye may be evolving... you may just not realize it. :)

By the way... I think you have some dust on your sensor. You should get that cleaned up, and be careful when switching lenses. Always do it in a non-windy area (as closed up as possible), keep the camera pointed down and try to keep the time where lenses and bodies are not capped and not connected to a minimum.

Thanks Manny, I deleted it to hopefully prevent another testosterone war. Man I'll tell ya, when it comes to a simple discussion around here, it doesn't take long for the peacocks to fan out their tails. But botton line is, opinions are like a-holes. Everyone has one.
CB noticed the dust. I'll have to check that out. Of course my antique doesn't have a cleaning mode, and since CB mentioned it, I've read horror stories about the mirror dropping even while it's on lock up.
As far as my eye evolving? Man I hope not. I see how the educated side acts in a simple film vs digital disscussion. I'll stay a simple man with a simple eye, thank you very much :lol:
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom