Abandoned Silo

I like the man-made subject of this composition. I think the strength of this photo is the decaying silo shell and how the light falls across its visible skeleton, much like old photos of rigid airships and the hulls of ships and the like.

I have ask Rick, where is this located?

Thanks FB, this was taken in Md. I pass this place and the abandoned white house on the way to the bay. I actually took both the same day.

I started playing with this one several times but never got what I wanted from it until this last try. It was always intended to be a B&W, but I was just never satisfied with the earlier results.

What I was just talking to Manny about was flipping it. I'm just not at ease with that because it isn't what's there. I respect Joe knowledge and opinion, but the flipped version doesn't even exist.

Last edited:
There were several issues with Rick's original posting. I pointed out the one which was the lack of solid focus on the silo face with more of the focus emphasis placed toward the rear of the silo. the second issue I believe has been pointed out by several others: dust bunny city.

In addition, the silo was out of square due to the 35mm and shooting at an upward angle. I corrected this, did some local sharpening, changed some of the dark/light combinations to open up the blocked in blacks, and cropped to force the eye to a more centralized focus point. In this crop, the left side placement works better than the right side, regardless of western thought or right/left handedness..I think those have more play when it is a solitary object but as with any edit, always a matter of personal preference.

$8545232520_0f622e1ed2_o.jpg

THANK YOU!! Mostly for the leaning silo. That has been bugging the crap out of me since I first started playing with this.
If I leveled the silo, the fence wasn't level. If I leveled the fence, the silo got out of plumb. The unlevel fence just looked horrible, so I settled for the other. TBTH, I never even gave lens distortion a thought.

Thanks FB, this was taken in Md. I pass this place and the abandoned white house on the way to the bay.
Where about, If you don't mind? Might be worth out checking it out on one of our Delaware trips.

OK - not too far off the regular route (US-301).

Middletown DE, on 301, is a frequent trip for us. It's a bout 1/2 hr from my place in Betterton, MD

Middletown DE, on 301, is a frequent trip for us. It's a bout 1/2 hr from my place in Betterton, MD
The Wawa is a standard rest & coffee stop point on the way north. Depending on the time, I'll frequently take a right and go down to US-13, and into Wilmington that way. I really dislike I-95.

Of course my antique doesn't have a cleaning mode
Don't look forward to improving the dust-bunny situation much if you move on to a camera with a sensor-cleaning mode. I know this from experience.

In all of my rural travels here in Manitoba I've never seen a silo shaped like that. Or maybe once, but it wasn't photogenic like this one. I like Ysarex's flip, it does improve the composition – flipping is a neat trick :)

Most reactions

Back