About Curves??

RebelTasha

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I came across this intro to curves with some examples of how they effect a picture..
http://www.covingtoninnovations.com/dslr/Curves.html
I really love the pictures that show the difference it is really something I would very much like to beable to do.
However upon researching it further it is not something that is done with the camera itself it is more about editing it after in a photo program?
Is there any tips or tricks anyone knows about on how to achieve this when taking the original shot?
Like how to get the whites white like this and not gray?

Please try not to make my head spin too much.. hehe.....

(I have a Canon Rebel XT) (not actually used it other than looked at its features and read the manual, dont' have CF card yet)

You can do things with software (curves etc) that you can't do in the camera. However, you can adjust some of the parameters...like contrast, saturation and sharpness. Personally I prefer to do most of that in Photoshop because it gives you more control and freedom.

As a starting point for you, I would suggest reading up on Exposure and Metering. Maybe pick up 'Understand Exposure' by Brian Peterson. The better understanding you have, the easier it will be to get the results you want.

I came across this intro to curves with some examples of how they effect a picture..
http://www.covingtoninnovations.com/dslr/Curves.html
I really love the pictures that show the difference it is really something I would very much like to beable to do.
However upon researching it further it is not something that is done with the camera itself it is more about editing it after in a photo program?
Is there any tips or tricks anyone knows about on how to achieve this when taking the original shot?
Like how to get the whites white like this and not gray?

Please try not to make my head spin too much.. hehe.....

(I have a Canon Rebel XT) (not actually used it other than looked at its features and read the manual, dont' have CF card yet)
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think shooting in the green box mode on the Rebel enhances and sharpens for print ready shots,but there may be more to it ?

Thats just the auto mode, so that just means the camera will choose the correct settings for you to get the right exposure.

Thats just the auto mode, so that just means the camera will choose the correct settings for you to get the right exposure.
Yes I know ,but I'm under the impression that saturation shapness and contrast are all bumped up as well "like a point and shoot" Thats what the grean box mimicks

I don't know about Canon, but on my Nikon, there are settings for sharpness, saturation, etc., so you can set it up how you like and it effects all modes. But this only works when shooting in JPG, RAW is not processed by the camera at all, which gives you more control in post processing.

Most reactions

Back